Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External Hard Drive not showing up

I have WD My Passport 500GB external hard drive. I had some files in it. Then I formatted it in order to backup my MacBook Pro. Before I used it for backup it was working fine with both the computers, Mac and PC. I also partitioned it using Disk Utility in Mac so that I could use one part for backup and the other for general use. Then I did the backup and connected back with the PC using the USB cable. Now the indicator light is on but my PC does not show it up. I have files to put back into my hard drive from the PC and can't do anything now.

Please help me how to make it show up in the PC again. It is working fine with the Mac.

I am appreciative to any suggestions.

Posted on Jul 31, 2012 12:11 PM

6 replies

Jul 31, 2012 12:27 PM in response to imacmania

Connect it back to your Mac, launch Disk Utility, if the whole drive is formatted Extended Journaled, it won't work with your PC. You'll have to pull the files off, then format the partition you want to use with your PC exFAT. However, there have been issues with Mac's formatting exFAT...sometimes a PC still won't see it. Formatting exFAT is best done on a PC. Thus, you may have to format on your Mac using FAT, your PC should see that. Then format to exFAT using your PC.

External Hard Drive not showing up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.