Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages not being sent/received after 5 mins, timeout issue?

I've been using Messages since the Beta release and hoped this issue would be fixed in Mountain Lion. Whilst the app works well for the most part I have an issue with it seeming to stall or timeout after about 5 minutes of inactivity. As an example I can be having a conversation with someone and if I don't respond for 5 minutes and then try and reply my message is not sent and I end up with the red exclamation mark. I can resend it by clicking on the red exclamation mark but that gets quite annoying all the time. Also if the person I'm chatting to tried to send me a message during this stall/timeout period then it won't come through on my Mac until I try and send a message to them.

I get all messages send/receive fine on my iPhone and iPad and sometimes I'm only aware of a new message in the conversation when it flashes up on either of my iOS devices. This then prompts me to reply on my Mac as above and the message then comes through.

Is anyone else having this issue?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, Mac OS X (10.7.4), 2.6GHz, 8GB Ram, 512GB, 1GB NVIDIA

Posted on Jul 31, 2012 2:20 PM

14 replies

Feb 20, 2013 12:53 PM in response to TJ Skywasher

HI,

On the Mac I would try a PRAM reset.

Shut down the computer.

Restart it holding down Apple/CMD ( or ⌘)+ALT( ⌥)+P+R Keys until you have heard three Start Up Bongs.

User uploaded file
8:53 PM Wednesday; February 20, 2013

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.2)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Feb 20, 2013 1:19 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Nope 😟
PRAM reset didn't help. I just noticed the original poster has a retina MBP. I do too. Could it be a rMBP problem?

It's not only Messages. I don't get push notifications from other apps neither (Tweetbot, Facebook, Facetime etc...). But it's like TJ Skywasher said - it works when it works and after ~5mins of idle time all the notifications are dropped until something wakes them up (e.g. if I retry sending iMessage or so..)

It's pretty **** annoying. I would appreciate if anyone else had any tips we can try

Cheers

Feb 20, 2013 1:24 PM in response to Ivcha

Umm,

A PRAM reset used to be the most successful of things that can be tried.

IN the finder > Go Menu > Go to Folder > Type ~/Library/Preferences in the Dialogue box that appears.

In the Preferences find the com.apple.imessages.bag.plist and the com.apple.imservice.iMessage.plist and drag both to the Trash.

Restart Messages.

This will refresh the Login the iMessages account has with the server.

User uploaded file
9:24 PM Wednesday; February 20, 2013

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Feb 20, 2013 1:34 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Thanks Ralph, I appreciate you trying to help.

I deleted the prefs, waited some time and it seems to be working. But I don't get my hopes up yet, since I'm pretty sure the same thing happens with other apps with push notifications. I might try the same thing.

Let you know how it goes after I've tested it a bit.

Thanks once again

Feb 20, 2013 1:43 PM in response to Ivcha

OK

User uploaded file
9:43 PM Wednesday; February 20, 2013

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Feb 21, 2013 2:10 PM in response to Ivcha

HI,

From the Messages Beta Community

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4053842?answerId=18747323022#18747323022 (person did not reply one way or the other)

One of the First DNS issue suggestions

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3742295?answerId=17626149022#17626149022

Another thread

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4087457?answerId=18869876022#18869876022

Lists several items that have been tried in other threads. If you read on from this point it seems deleting the com.apple.ichat.plist worked for that chap. (Messages still uses this .plist)

One with a green Tick https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3788020?answerId=17821078022#17821078022

For this you would need to reinstall the whole OS as Messages cannot be done separately any more.

The Search I was working with

User uploaded file
10:10 PM Thursday; February 21, 2013

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Feb 23, 2013 11:53 AM in response to TJ Skywasher

I don't have the com.apple.imessages.bag.plist and the com.apple.imservice.iMessage.plist in Preferences so no idea if that solution works. I've already tried the PRAM reset to attempt to solve other issues I have and that hasn't solved it either.

I'll take a look at the links posted and see if there's anything there that can help me but I'm not hopeful. I have several minor issues like this in ML and after exhausting every suggestion nothing has worked so far 😟

Feb 23, 2013 1:06 PM in response to Ivcha

Hi,

Not having the two iMessage .plists tends to mean the iMessages account has not been set up.

We Are looking in HardDriveName/Users/(your Shortname)/Library/Preferences or ~/Library/Preferences for short ?

This Library in the Mac User's Home Folder is now hidden in Lion and Mountain Lion so the Finder has to be used.

Either hold down the ALT key when using the Finder's Go Menu (And then clicking the Library that appears)

Or use Finder > Go Menu > Go to Folder and type ~/Library/Preferences into the dialogue box.

Having said that though the iMessages account must be set up or you would not get the Red Exclamation mark.

My Link did not mention deleting those two plists.

It mentions deleting the main com.apple.ichat.plist itself.

You could try deleting the two .plists as they hold Login info to the iMessages server.

Restarting Messages afterwards recreates the .plists but will also refresh the login in a deeper way then a plain restart of the app.

User uploaded file
9:06 PM Saturday; February 23, 2013

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Messages not being sent/received after 5 mins, timeout issue?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.