Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my apple tv 2 lose network connectivity?

I've searched on this topic for a while and have not found an answer as to why I keep losing network connectivity. After owning my apple tv for almost a year it started losing network connectivity. At first like many others it just required me to re-enter my network information. Now however the only solution is to restore the apple tv downloading the latest OS. I first believed this was due to its IP address expiring and the apple tv not acquiring a new address. So I set a static IP address for the apple tv. It worked for a few more days and then stopped working again. Next I thought it was perhaps the actiontec router I have with my internet service so I added another router to fix this problem. I first set the router up with my macbook and checked its connectivity (everything worked fine). When I went back to the apple tv I had the same issue. I selected the new network and entered the WEP password and received the 3902 error message. I know now the only way it will work is if I restore the apple tv. And I know at some point no matter what router I use it will stop working. Because I've loaded various iterations of the OS I have to believe its a hardware issue. And unfortunately when I finally discovered this problem my 1 year warrant expired so I'm SOL. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is occurring? I've read and tried the various "solutions" others have used for networking issues (static ip's, fixing the channel etc.) and nothing seems to work. I have no means of hardwiring this thing so if no solution is found I will need to dump it for something else. Worst apple experience I have had to date and it really leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

AppleTV 2

Posted on Jul 31, 2012 2:32 PM

11 replies

Oct 29, 2017 8:06 PM in response to vazandrew

This is not true. Network is not always an issue. The Apple TVs especially the 2nd gen have had issues with connectivity since the 4th gen came out. I was told at multiple Apple stores Apple does not have a way to trouble shoot issues with Apple tvs, they just replace them if resetting the system doesn't work and it still under warranty. I have had this issue and even moved and still have the issue. Why does everyone go right to a network issue even after multiple people say they have no issues with any other wifi or LAN connected devices!!

Oct 29, 2017 8:37 PM in response to Gonnachange2Android

Yes, in the majority of cases that will be the cause. No, the 2nd gens have not specifically had such issues (there were a select group of 3rd gens that did) and were discontinued long before the 4th came out. I have had many units, been a part of this forum for years (with no such widespread reports) and done/continue to do vigorous testing. It is a network streaming device and when there is an issue that is where to look. I find it hard to believe you were told that, as that is a completely false statement. Other devices working does not rule out a network issue, and one can easily find instances where the ATV is working fine but another device is showing these symptoms. You will need to do proper troubleshooting.

Jul 31, 2012 3:27 PM in response to Winston Churchill

Thanks for the reply. Yes to answer your question. We've rearranged furniture a few times so its been moved around. My place isn't big so distance shouldn't be a problem. Right now though it shows no bars. This is what happens when it wont connect. If I restore it though it will be full strength and connect. This is what always seems to happens. Also I can see my network and others around me right now. Any other ideas?

Jul 31, 2012 4:16 PM in response to Winston Churchill

Can you explain your thinking or if you have ideas on what it might be? I should not say its a hardware problem but I do believe it's the apple tv. I have friends with the same setup as me without problems. They have the same service provider, router (make, model) without any issues. And like I said it worked for almost a year. And the only fix is a restore of the apple tv. Rebooting the router, changing ip address assignment, fixing channel, downgrading to b or g from compatability mode has no affect.

Oct 13, 2015 6:43 PM in response to Winston Churchill

I have just recently started having this problem as well. I have had my appleTV for about 3 years or so. I have never had this problem. It just loses its network connection and the only way I can get it to reconnect is to restart the appleTV device. I have two other computers and a sony dvd player and an iPhone that all connect to my home wifi and none of them seem to have any problems at all. In fact I go so fed up with the network drop that I went up and finished watching my movie on the dvd player via Netflix.I have tried rebooting my router and that has no effect on my appleTV. I have tried going to Network and trying to reconnect to my network, but it doesn't work until I restart the appleTV device. I have tried to resent the appleTV device and that didn't work either. I have tried to do a software update and that either comes back unsuccessful or its all up to date. I have tried unplugging the appleTV device for 24 hours and there was no luck there. I have tried connecting to a different network and that didn't work. I know the signal is good to the appleTV as I am sitting right next to it on this computer and I have full strength WIFI at this computer. I have tried checking all the connections and they are all tight and clean. I have tried moving the appleTV device to a different tv and I still have the same problem. I am guessing that this device is just at the end of it's life at this point, but 3 years seems like a really short lifespan, even for apple.

Why does my apple tv 2 lose network connectivity?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.