Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Out of disk space problem. Help!!

I am trying to export a FCPX project that is roughly 10 mins long. It has transitions, text, music etc. I have a MBA 4gb, 120gb SSD, Intel i5.

The problem is, about half way through it crashes saying that the startup disk is nearly full, even though I have 40gb free before starting.

I have even tried moving all the events and project to an external drive and exporting the file to the same drive but it doesnt make any difference.

The confusing thing is, I exported another file a week early, about 10 mins long and that worked fine. I have the same amount of free disk space as I did then.

Any ideas? Is there a way to set FCP to use the external drive exclusively and not the startup disk?

I am trying to export using the following compressor settings: (It still fails if I use a lower quality export)

Name: High Quality

Description: No description

File Extension: m4v

Estimated size: 2.25 GB/hour of source

Device: Apple TV HD

Frame sync rate: 5 seconds

Video Encoder

Width and Height: Automatic

Pixel aspect ratio: Default

Crop: None

Padding: None

Frame rate: (100% of source)

Frame Controls: Automatically selected: Off

Codec Type: H.264

Multi-pass: On, frame reorder: On

Pixel depth: 24

Spatial quality: 50

Min. Spatial quality: 50

Temporal quality: 50

Min. temporal quality: 50

Average data rate: 5 (Mbps)

Maximum data rate: 14 (Mbps)

Audio Encoder

Sample Rate: 44.100kHz

Channels: 2

Bits Per Sample: 16

AAC encoder quality: high

Data rate: 128 Kbps

Final Cut Pro X, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jul 31, 2012 3:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2012 4:21 PM

Hi Daniel.

You'll get a better response to your questions from FCPX users if you post in thatforum.

This forum is for users of the legacy versions of FCP and related applications.

Russ

3 replies

Aug 1, 2012 2:40 PM in response to Daniel Murrientes

Without any consideration of version, you are out of disk space. You should never have less than 10-15% of your disk full, more for system disks. Along with all the stuff you put out there, OS X can be running as many as 100,000+ temp files and what-have-you trying to keep your system alive and well.

External hard drives are cheap and video takes a lot of storage. Think terabytes and don't forget the back-up drives too.

Good luck.

Out of disk space problem. Help!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.