Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it too late for me to upgrade?

Overview:

I bought my MacBook (13.3 inch, Black) late June of 2007, making it a little over 5 years old.

My OS X is currently 10.4.11 and hasn't been upgraded in, obviously, years.

Of course it annoyed me that I couldn't download certain things or upgrade my applications but, I put up with it because I thought it would be too much of a hassle to go to the Apple store and buy it - plus did I really need to spend how ever many dollars to change something that worked fine enough? So, the years went by....

Recently, I have needed to buy programs and software that require 10.5 or newer (for example, I just recieved a new iTouch as a gift) and I am sort of panicking.

Now, I was under the impression I wouldn't be able to upgrade to 10.5 because the newer Macbooks have a new Intel chip... or something like that, I can't remember what I read exactly, so it wasn't compatiable anyway. Maybe I read it wrong or the person was mistaken or I misunderstood (that tends to happen a lot with me) or etc.

I know that I cannot buy the 10.5 disk at the Apple store anymore and that I will need to buy it on ebay or amazon or some other seller.

But, I am still worried that I will not be able to upgrade my OS, and there is no room in my budget to buy a new computer.

Can someone help quell my worried mind? Haha.

One more thing - if I AM able to upgrade to a higher OS X, can I just skip to the most recent one? Or is there some way I can buy a bundle of the past OS Xs and by pass all this nonsense of having things not work for me because I am not fully up-to-date and possibly save some money?

Thank you in advanced!

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Jul 31, 2012 3:36 PM

2 replies

Jul 31, 2012 3:44 PM in response to Bolin-in-the-Deep

Hello, you could do 10.5.x with a Retail Install Disc, but expensive.

Leopard requirements/10.5.x...

* Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5, or PowerPC G4 (867MHz or faster) processor

minimum system requirements

* 512MB of memory (I say 1.5GB for PPC at least, 2-3GB minimum for IntelMacs)

* DVD drive for installation

* 9GB of available disk space (I say 30GB at least)

Classic/OS9 Apps no longer supported.

Trouble is Apple no longer sells it, check eBay & such for the Retail version, not the Gray Discs...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=mac+os+x+leopard+retail+10.5

Snow Leopard/10.6.x Requirements...

General requirements

* Mac computer with an Intel processor

* 1GB of memory (I say 4GB at least, more if you can afford it)

* 5GB of available disk space (I say 30GB at least)

* DVD drive for installation

* Some features require a compatible Internet service provider; fees may apply.

* Some features require Apple’s MobileMe service; fees and terms apply.

Which apps work with Mac OS X 10.6?...

http://snowleopard.wikidot.com/

It's been pulled from the online store, so you have to call Apple to buy it, last I heard.

Lion/10.7 is gone apparently, & 10.8 is not so great.

Is it too late for me to upgrade?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.