Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dock has moved lower with Mountain Lion. This truncates the indicator light below the dock. Has anyone solved this problem?

Dock has moved lower with Mountain Lion. This truncates the indicator light below the dock. Has anyone solved this problem?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Jul 31, 2012 4:11 PM

17 replies

Aug 1, 2012 10:37 AM in response to scottkb2000

The Dock implemented in ML is, IMO, ill-designed and basically makes it unusable. I've filed a bug report for loss of usability, citing these items. First, the previous elliptical app on lights reflected over the edge and were readily discernible. the new, garish, rectangular ones displaying only on the Dock's edge are barely visible. Second, the previously clear icon reflections were replaced by cloudy, unclear blobs of color. Third, app windows dragged behind the Dock no longer reflect any text, just more color blobs if they contain colored images. This is what the previous Dock looked like and indicates what an usable one should display.

User uploaded file

Jan 6, 2013 12:35 PM in response to scottkb2000

For whomever is "listening" at Apple, this is BS, and yet my second issue with ML since upgrading about 2 hours ago. I thought there was something wrong with my display. The indicator lights on the dock are barely visible. And why should I have to change my workspace to accomodate a screw up on Apple's design team's part?? Apple needs to put out a list of "bugs" along with the "benefits" of ML so consumers can make an educated decision before (or if) upgrading. I've just dropped $20 to step backwards in functionality!!

Jan 6, 2013 12:53 PM in response to baltwo

I'm confused. I just got an email from Apple Support Community (updates) and I see that a "baltwo" response is marked "This solved my question" (no offense directed towards baltwo). The question just seems to be more defined, not resolved. This is an Apple OS problem (seemingly) and needs to be directed towards a technical representative, not the community. I would ask that if anyone knows how to push this issue towards Apple, that is where the solution lies.

Jan 6, 2013 3:15 PM in response to scottkb2000

scottkb2000 wrote:

I'm confused. I just got an email from Apple Support Community (updates) and I see that a "baltwo" response is marked "This solved my question" (no offense directed towards baltwo). The question just seems to be more defined, not resolved. This is an Apple OS problem (seemingly) and needs to be directed towards a technical representative, not the community. I would ask that if anyone knows how to push this issue towards Apple, that is where the solution lies.

File a bug reportwith Apple via feedback. Do note that this goes through marketing and sales. No telling when it'll get to engineering. Alternatively, if you want to report this issue directly to Apple's engineering, bypassing marketing and sales, send a bug report or an enhancement request via its Bug Reporter system. To do this, register as an Apple Developer—it's free and available for all Mac users and gets you a look at some development software. Since you already have an Apple username/ID, use that. Once a member, go to Apple BugReporter and file your bug report or enhancement request. You'll get a response and a follow-up number; thus, starting a dialog with engineering and you'll be able to track its status.

Jan 6, 2013 4:11 PM in response to scottkb2000

In my opinion the new Dock looks awesome! I really hated the Dock in Leopard, Snow Leopard and Lion. I customised it to death until I found the perfect solution:removing the background of the Dock. Then it became beautiful again. The dock in tiger or when you select to put it on the side looked much better than the newer incarantions. The ML dock is the only good looking default dock since Tiger. Great job apple!

EDIT: Actually maybe the indicator lights should be a little darker shade of blue and a little larger. They are kind of small....

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.