Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is Mission Control next to worthless?

1) Why do I have to move the mouse before I can click on a window in MC? It's annoying for a couple of reasons. A. I sometimes pre-position my mouse where I know the app will reveal at in MC, B. If I swipe by accident and my mouse is over the current app I have to move it first. It's just annoying and feels broken.

2) Why can't I drag an app from one space on a second screen, to the main screen on another space? (or vice versa)

3) Why does MC not reveal tabbed windows in apps? One thing that's nice in Windows 7 is Aero Peek. It works with all the web browsers and apps like Illustrator and Photoshop, too bad OSX doesn't have equivalent functionality when an expose' style reveal would work beautifully.

4) Why doesn't MC reveal minimized windows? This is probably one of the worst quirks, it basically makes MC useless for me. What is MC aside from an easy way to find and switch between open applications? I use MC because I don't know where an app window is, minimized or not, MC should help me find that app.

While I appreciate the idea behind MC its become evident over time that it has to many quirks to be considered useful.

PLEASE FIX MISSION CONTROL APPLE!

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Jul 31, 2012 4:07 PM

13 replies

Jul 31, 2012 4:13 PM in response to erebos

Mission Control is so you can navigate from one desktop to the next and so you can organize your apps (yes, you can move them) and find apps. And for the mouse thing? It takes two seconds to move your mouse. They do that so you don't accidentally click on an app that you didn't want to click on. Mission Control isn't an app. It's just a tiny function. It's not supposed to provide this amazing funcionality.

Jul 31, 2012 9:27 PM in response to Barney-15E

1) a. Yes, that seems to be the only answer aside from a screwup. It doesn't make sense though. Why would I necessarily accidentally click before/without moving the mouse? And if we're going to do that there might as well do it everywhere. Let's just make it so no clicks register on any screen until I've moved the mouse... never heard of this behavior in my life. Maybe it's for all those crazy magic mouse users...

4) Yes, but I'm trying to find the app, what if all the app's windows are currently minimized? MC is useless for that. MC only solves for part of the scenarios I might encounter making it useless unless I only ever have like 3 apps open that I never minimize... not the case for me.

I think Apple made some mistakes with MC. They created something that looks really cool but is limited. In the end, there's no useful difference between MC and CMD+TAB aside from spaces. I rarely use MC for spaces though, I just swipe to the next space more often than not.

Jul 31, 2012 9:58 PM in response to Barney-15E

Barney-15E wrote:

4) Yes, but I'm trying to find the app, what if all the app's windows are currently minimized?

Swipe down on the App's Dock icon.

I didn't know you could do that, a bit strange to me but doable I guess. The icons that show up are awfully tiny though. Overall window reveals are a little disjointed, maybe they're trying things out. I just like having that go to "umbrella" action that covers all scenarios even if there are logical modifiers within that action to reveal a deeper scenario.

Jul 31, 2012 11:30 PM in response to ClayG

ClayG wrote:

Barney-15E wrote:

4) Yes, but I'm trying to find the app, what if all the app's windows are currently minimized?

I'm not familiar with this gesture. Can you explain?

Put the mouse over the icon on the dock and swipe down. It's a little weird but I guess it does something.

Aug 1, 2012 9:08 PM in response to ClayG

ClayG wrote:

Barney-15E wrote:

I'm not familiar with this gesture. Can you explain?

I think erebos answered your question, but if there's not enough detail, hover over the app in the Dock and do a three-finger swipe down on Trackpad or Magic Mouse. I have my Dock on the left, and it think that feels a little more natural that swiping left/right to get to icon, then down for App Exposé.

Why is Mission Control next to worthless?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.