1 Reply Latest reply: Aug 1, 2012 8:13 AM by Douglas Urner
Douglas Urner Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)

Since upgrading to Mountain Lion I've been encountering intermittant "mail freezes" – Apple Mail will display everything except the actual message. I can click on the message in the message list pane, but nothing happens in the pane where the message would normally be displayed. Sometimes a message will display there – but usually not the one I'm trying to select to display – but I'm unable to change to a different message.

Most of the time when this is happening the rest of the machine is responding normally, but I have noticed occasional overall slow downs – if I were describing an engine I'd call it hesitiation.

Is anybody else seeing something like this? Any ideas about how to troubleshoot it?

MacBook Pro (15-inch 2.4/2.2 GHz), OS X Mountain Lion
  • Douglas Urner Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)

Update: the problem is still here. I'm running Activity Monitor and it is showing Mail consuming 90 to 115 percent of the machine (love dual core accounting) for extended periods – say 10 plus minutes. There is lots of free memory (over 1 GB).

When Mail is "frozen" quitting and restarting helps. The IMAP server is responsive if I check e-mail from my iPhone, but in Apple Mail the Connection Doctor window is very slow to respond (over a minute for the green dots to show up).