Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can i archive some of my iphoto library on a separate hard drive

I have iPhoto 7.1.5 and I have run out of hard drive space to store all of my photos and videos.... I moved the library to an external hard drive and am able to access it no problem, but I am wondering if there is a way to archive albums or pictures that I dont want to have access to on my local hard drive but yet still have my most current stuff on my local without messing up the library???

Mac OS X (10.2.x)

Posted on Jul 31, 2012 6:15 PM

2 replies

Jul 31, 2012 11:32 PM in response to Brandi Mahon

Here's one way to do what you want:

Make sure the drive is formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

1. Quit iPhoto

2. Copy the iPhoto Library from your Pictures Folder to the External Disk.

Now you have two full versions of the Library.

3. On the Internal library, trash the Events you don't want there

Now you have a full copy of the Library on the External and a smaller subset on the Internal

Some Notes:

As a general rule: when deleting photos do them in batches of about 100 at a time. iPhoto can baulk at trashing large numbers at one go.

You can choose which Library to open: Hold down the option (or alt) key key and launch iPhoto. From the resulting menu select 'Choose Library'

You can keep the Library on the external updated with new imports using iPhoto Library Manager

how can i archive some of my iphoto library on a separate hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.