Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

canon MP830 not scanning on OS X 10.8

Since upgrading to Mountain Lion, the MP Navigator 2.2.4 software for scanning now crashes. I have all the latest Canon software\drivers\firmware.This is despite Canon claiming full compatibility with Mountain Lion. I daresay a solution is being worked on, but I wanted to confirm that others are having the same issue ad that it's not peculiar to me.

Thanks in advance.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Jul 31, 2012 7:08 PM

20 replies

Jul 31, 2012 10:12 PM in response to the original macman

With reference from the Canon Australia web site there is no mention of support for 10.8 for MP Navigator v2.2.4 for your MP830. But looking at MP Navigator v5.0.2 for my MG6250, 10.8 is listed as a supported platform.

So for v2.2.4, I would expect that the application does not support Gatekeeper and would therefore not install on a new 10.8 Mac. And for a 10.7 Mac that upgraded to 10.8, the same protection could be stopping the application from working correctly. If you open System Preferences and select Security & Privacy, under the General tab is the Allow Applications setting. If you set this to Anywhere, does this allow MP Navigator to open?

Also, which Canon web site stated that this version of MP Navigator was supported on 10.8?

Jul 31, 2012 10:20 PM in response to the original macman

Apple now maintains and updates printer and scanner software for a whole lot of printers. I suggest reading http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4670 and seeing if your printer is on their list - if it's fairly recent, it probably is. Then you can get your driver and scanner software from Apple as the article suggests. The added benefit is that if Canon updates the software, Apple will pass it along to you as part of its software update process.

Jul 31, 2012 10:30 PM in response to PAHU

I'm in the US and it was the Canon USA site that claimed support. I already had everything installed prior to upgrading so Gatekeeper wasn't an issue. Indeed, it prevents an urecognised application from installing although this can be temporarily by passed by using Control>Open.

Unfortunately, I don't think your MP 5.0.2 will be compatible with my printer.

Jul 31, 2012 10:34 PM in response to sberman

Thanks, I've looked on both Canon and Apple sites and, thus far, nothing has been updated. Canon often lags a bit so they will hopefully update in due course. This assumes it's a generic issue although I currently have no reason to think it's solely my issue.

At worst, I can boot into Windows and scan from there but why would I want to do that ;-)

Aug 1, 2012 12:16 AM in response to the original macman

the original macman wrote:

I'm in the US and it was the Canon USA site that claimed support.

I just had a look at Canon USA web site and for the MP830, no driver is shown and only Easy Photo Print is shown for supported applications. And referring to this link about OS X support, the MP830 is not listed.

the original macman wrote:

Unfortunately, I don't think your MP 5.0.2 will be compatible with my printer.

Correct. There is different versions of MP Navigator for different models. So the version that supports my MG6250 is not compatible with your MP830. But I was not suggesting you use this later version. I was just saying that no reference to 10.8 support was made with regards to v2.2.4.

As for the drivers available via Apple Software Update, Canon is only providing Apple with a printer driver for the MP830. Canon never made an ICA driver for this model - it they did you could at least use Image Capture or Preview to scan until they released an update. And given that the MP830 is outside the 5 year support window, then that update may not be available in the near future.

Aug 1, 2012 6:51 AM in response to PAHU

Drivers aren't typically required fro Mac as they're already supplied by the OS. The link:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/mac-osx

indicates full Mountain Lion compatibility for the MP830 hence my discontent. Whilst it's true that the five year window has elapsed, Canon are generally quite good at support outwith that period so I'm reasonably hopeful that this will be addressed. That said, what I am trying to ascertain is whether anyone else has the same problem so I can establish that it's not just me and therefore possibly a different issue.

Thanks.

Aug 4, 2012 12:29 AM in response to Gregory Agonoy

Good to know I'm not alone, but I feel your pain. I'm currentky booting into Windows 7 and using Windows MP Navigator which is a real hassle. I'm curious which third-party software you're using on your Mac?

If you haven't already, please report the issue to Apple and Canon, although I'm sure it's Canon's to fix, so that we can get a head of steam building.

Aug 4, 2012 9:14 AM in response to the original macman

I'm having the same problem with my Canon MP620. The printer works, but MPNavigator crashes on launch so that I cannot scan. I have solved the problem at least temporarily using a 3rd party utility called Vuescan. It seems to be made for the MX870, but it worked with my MP620 just fine.

http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/canon_mx870.html

30 minutes later: I have now discovered the Image Capture program mentioned by another poster above. It's a utility that's already on the Mac, and it also allows scanning from my Canon printer.

canon MP830 not scanning on OS X 10.8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.