Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can someone instruct me how to uninstall Divx?

.. or guide me to a webpage that would teach me how- ?!

I am not computer savvy, at all.

I'd like to uninstall an unregistered copy of Divx-

I tried dragging files I could find to the trash but there are several I cannot delete- for example, the icon under "Other" on System Preferences.. and I'm sure hidden files I know nothing about/don't know how to find-

(I could not find an "uninstall" option, unfortunately, within the Divx install folder..)

thank you in advance for any help !

Mac OS X 10.6.8

Posted on Jul 31, 2012 7:20 PM

10 replies

Jan 10, 2017 10:45 AM in response to cedriclll

Great advice!

The only thing I'd change would be to add a grep command to step 3 and have it search for anything with 'divx' thus eliminating the need to search through the list.

3. Type in the following commands

$ launchctl unload /Library/LaunchAgents/com.divx.update.agent.plist

$ launchctl unload /Library/LaunchAgents/com.divx.dms.agent.plist $ launchctl list | grep divx (com.divx.update.agent should not appear in the list)

Nov 15, 2015 12:20 PM in response to BDAqua

Hello,

I´m getting repeatedly messages for a DivX update, but I can´t find this software anywhere.

I tried just about all the "solutions" I could find through a search.

First I tried to delete this software, that was when I got the message, this software could not be deleted.

Then I downloaded and installed the software again from the recommended website, and then uninstalled it.

Still no difference - still getting the update reminders.

Many thanks in advance for any hints!

manoka

Nov 21, 2015 2:59 AM in response to manoka

Hello Manoka

What I did is the following.

1. Open a "terminal" window (Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal or in Spotlight, look for terminal)

2. If you are not logged in as an admin user, log as an admin.

$ su whatever_the_username_of_the_admin_user_is

3. Type in the following commands

$ launchctl unload /Library/LaunchAgents/com.divx.update.agent.plist

$ launchctl unload /Library/LaunchAgents/com.divx.dms.agent.plist $ launchctl list (com.divx.update.agent should not appear in the list)

4. Remove the following files:

$ sudo rm /Library/LaunchAgents/com.divx.*

$ sudo rm -rf /Library/Application\ Support/DivX/ $ rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.divx.*

5. If you had to log as an admin user, return to your regular user

$ exit

6. Repeat the removal operation in Library/Preferences for each user

$ rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.divx.*

can someone instruct me how to uninstall Divx?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.