Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sound file?

Hello, my father sent me a sound file through iChat (about 120 megs) but it comes up as a quicktime file in the window. Is there an actual way to put it on my computer?

Thanks!
Cliff

Powerbook G4 12 inch, Mac OS X (10.4.3)

Posted on Mar 24, 2006 3:38 AM

13 replies

Mar 24, 2006 12:30 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

It's strange because when I try to drag it out of the chat (I suppose all of this is a moot point since I've had to quit the program a couple of times today) it gives the little white stop sign. I was able to play the file back in iChat. I used wiretap to make a new file, but it's a little disappointing because it also picked up some other sounds that were internal to my computer. But with a performance coming up Sunday, there's not much I can do.

Mar 24, 2006 1:11 PM in response to Clifford Dunn

If a direct IM session is started (as was the case here), there doesn't appear to be an easy way to get the Quicktime file out of the chat window that I've come across.

If a file transfer was started, that's where the iChat preferences take over and the file is actually downloaded to your computer. That's also the case where you'd click "yes" to accept the file transfer.

-Ryan

Mar 24, 2006 1:49 PM in response to Clifford Dunn

Hi Clifford,

EZ Jim and I tested this.

I know it can be done. What sort of files were you sending and in what chat style ?

We trieda Text chat along side a Video chat and variuos types of file but they were sent just like normal file and would not play in the Chat.

We also tried with just a new Text chat open

Files tried
Quicktime Movie with audio only
MP3
.Aiff
.afic for garageband

User uploaded file

9:49 PM Friday; March 24, 2006

Sound file?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.