Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail Endlessly Updating Cache

Since upgrading to ML, Mail has been acting very oddly for me. It has decided to download every message off the server that's been received in the past 3 years. Right now my inbox is at over 32,000 messages and climbing. When I open the "activity" window in mail, I get this:

User uploaded file

The "caching" has been going on for well over 8 hours now and appears to only be about half-way done. Any ideas what's going on? I'd really like to be able to remove all of these messages from the server as well as delete the bulk of what is in my inbox.

iMac (24-inch Early 2009), Mac OS X (10.7.3), Apple IIe, IIc, Mac LC, Quadra 650, Performa 6400, PowerMac G4/5

Posted on Jul 31, 2012 8:31 PM

2 replies

Nov 2, 2012 7:56 AM in response to Bob Rupp-Kilgore

I support a several hundred Apple Macs and have seen this several times on 10.8 Macines up to 10.8.2, although mine is slightly different. I get the following, which pretty much grinds the machine to a halt...User uploaded file

The only thing that seems to work is creating a new user account, although I am still experiencing similar issue with caching, but not as bad.

So far I can only put this down to an Apple issue and has happened with an account with only about 100 email.

If anyone has got any further with this it would be great to hear from you.

Mail Endlessly Updating Cache

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.