Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should iPad be on or off when charging the battery?

Lately I have been reading online that I should turn off my iPad when charging the battery. I have always done so but within 20 seconds it turns itself back on. I thought that was normal but now I am not so sure. Any thoughts?

iPad 2, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Jul 31, 2012 10:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2012 8:57 AM

Thanks, Michael.

You covered every possibility and I will stop worrying about it. You should get a job writing the User Guide. Lol.

7 replies

Aug 3, 2012 6:56 AM in response to Menneisyys

Thanks for responding Menneisyys.

So far it's 50/50 . . . Yes and no. I guess I'll just continue what I've been doing. Which is turn it off before plugging it in and then letting it turn itself back on. One would think that the User Guide might provide some information on charging the battery but when I searched the word "battery" I only got one hit but that had to do with conserving the battery by not using the Location Guide. Very helpful User Guide . . . NOT!

Aug 3, 2012 7:01 AM in response to Finebabe

The iPad, like the iPhone, will indeed turn on automatically if off, and then plugged in. Has always been like that. If it is on and you plug it in, then turn it off, it will stay off.

As far as charging the battery, it makes no difference whether the device is off or on when plugged in, or whether it is actively in use or not when plugged in. Plug it in and unplug it any way you wish, the battery and charging circuits does not care one way or another.

Should iPad be on or off when charging the battery?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.