Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac App Store confused with Dual Boot

Hi fellow Mac users!

I just upgraded to Mountain Lion from Snow Leopard and I am loving it! It really is an amazing OS. Anyway, my problem is that I still have Snow Leopard on another volume, and when I go to the Mac App Store from Mountain Lion, it thinks I need to upgrade iMovie and iPhoto because they are installed on my Snow Leopard volume. I don't want to completely erase my Snow Leopard volume yet as there still might be things I need to transfer from there. For now I am just ejecting the Snow Leopard volume from the Finder every time I start up Mountain Lion. But is there another way around it?

Also, I'm not able to install some apps onto the Mountain Lion volume because they are already on my Snow Leopard volume, so the Mac App Store doesn't give me the option to install it. It just says, "Downloaded." So again, I have to eject the Snow Leopard volume in order to install the apps. I guess it's not a big deal. I just wanted to see if anyone has another way around this problem and to also make people aware of the issue. So any thoughts on the matter would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Daniel

Mac Pro 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon "Nehalem" (Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.6.4), 12GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM

Posted on Jul 31, 2012 11:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2012 11:29 PM

It's not an issue but the way the App Store works. It looks for apps on every connected disk volume.

9 replies

Aug 1, 2012 12:24 AM in response to IlMolto

Thanks for your replies guys. It's not an external drive. It's an internal. I'll try that spotlight preferences thing but for now I don't mind ejecting the drive in order for the Mac App Store to not look at the Snow Leopard volume. It won't be there forever. Just temporarily until I'm certain there's nothing left to transfer over. Thanks again!

Aug 5, 2012 1:00 AM in response to IlMolto

Hi,

I have just clean installed M.Lion and left my Lion install on another internal partition, and when I opened the Appstore I had a similar issue to what you described. Some of my apps reported to be already installed as the Appstore could see them on the Lion partition.

The steps I took to fix this were as follows:

1) Turn on Spotlight privacy for the Lion partition as described above.

2) Opened terminal and ran the following commands to delete and reset my Spotlight index:

To reset the spotlight index, you should disable indexing of the root volume first:

sudo mdutil -i off

Then delete the Spotlight index:

sudo rm -R /.Spotlight-v100

Then reset the data cache for your Mac’s hard drive:

sudo mdutil -E /

To force Spotlight to immediately start re-indexing your hard drive (this might take a few hours and is probably best left to run overnight), enter this command:

sudo mdutil -i on /

3) Reboot.

There are probably other ways to do this without using the Terminal command line, however I wanted to be sure the Spotlight index was gone/reset.

Hope this helps.

Aug 5, 2012 7:32 AM in response to zwarbotz

Hi,

Thanks for your detailed reply. I think a lot of people will gain from this. As for me, though, I will just continue to eject the Snow Leopard volume upon startup of the Mountain Lion volume. Just because it's not going to be like this permanently. I'd rather not go tampering with Spotlight and Terminal just for another week or so of having a dual OS setup. But thank you very much for your expertise on the matter!

Dec 20, 2012 3:43 AM in response to IlMolto

I had the same problem, having 2 internal SSD's, one with Snow Leopard, and one with Mountain Lion in my MacPro.

The problem is 2-ways: also updating apps on the Snow Leopard drive is a problem. So tinkering with Spotlight is not an option, I want both volumes searchable in Spotlight.

My solution: in Disk Utility, with one click you can unmount/deactive a volume. Then open App Store, install your apps, then mount/activate the volume again in Disk Utility. Two clicks and solved.

I think this is a flaw in the App Store, and have sent a message to Apple:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

May 9, 2013 8:53 AM in response to Remco Kalf

You can automate this quite easily with a little command line work.

Like you said, you need to prevent the paritions that are not being used from mounting on boot.

I have 4 drives, 2 Mountain Lion installs and a Time Machine for each. So, I didn't want them seeing each other.

Check this post, his solution worked great for me.

https://gist.github.com/threebytesfull/968327

The terminal command you can use to edit /etc/fstab is,

sudo vifs

Mac App Store confused with Dual Boot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.