Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Share: where Mail is not default email client

Hi All

History

Moutain Lion is a great and some challenging update

I have serious problems with Apples Mail App and it drafts keep popping up. See this link.

So I use a different email client. Sparrow Mail App or Postbox.

Problem

Now, when I want to Share my work through Pages, Numbers or Keynote and my default mail client isn't Mail App I just get a fail sound and nothing happens.

If Mail App is selected as default mail client share works.

This issue has risen since Mountain Lion update has been installed.

Solution

Does anyone know how to get around this issue? How one can make iWork apps accept other mail clients to send of work.

Right now is old style save on Desktop and drag into mail client for me. - It's not death, just very annoying.

If anyone has some supreme solution, please let me know.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Jul 31, 2012 11:29 PM

13 replies

Aug 1, 2012 12:51 PM in response to Peggy

Hi Peggy, thanks for replying. It is much appreciated.

Unfortunatly it's not the issue - to Make Mail the default mail application.

The issue is how to make Pages, Numbers and Keynote - accept another mail application than Mail when sharing. When I try to share now with Postbox or Sparrow any iWork application only gives an error sound and nothing happens.

Thanks for trying to help out, though.

Aug 2, 2012 1:46 AM in response to Peggy

Hi Peggy. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I might repeat my self: The problem is not selecting the default email client. You can do that in Mail, Sparrow, Postbox and Outlook too.

Setting anything else than Mail as default mail client is not the issue. Done! Easy!

What's the issue is to get iWork applications to accept it! After ML update my iWork apps only want to Share if Mail is standard mail client. Not if any other mail client is selected as standard.

Hope it clarifies 🙂

And once again, thanks for helping out.

Oct 11, 2012 2:01 AM in response to obzrv

Hi Obzrv

Nop, but have complied and working with Mail now instead.

Mail is a good app, but has some issues with IMAP. Drafts keeps popping up even though they are send.

Annoying when you work within communication and you're not sure if you'll send your clients and partners the same mail 1, 2 or even 3 times.

I've made the selections in Mails settings to not save drafts on server, cause Mail obviously can not handle it.

Sorry.

All the best.

Jakob

Oct 11, 2012 3:35 AM in response to jakob.joergensen

Jakob, have you done any maintenance lately on your computer? It could be cache files or other that isn't ok. Onyx is a free and very good maintenance application.

Repairing permissions seems to help in some cases after installing Mountain Lion

Restarting in Safe mode and then again in normal mode can help.

Deleting the iWork applications plist files could be tried.

Jan 27, 2013 3:34 AM in response to jakob.joergensen

Hi Jakob,

I use Mountain Lion and all software is updated. Recently I started to use Sparrow as my default email client. My iWork documents cannot be shared directly from Pages or Numbers via share function. Even though I changed default client to Sparrow it does not work in iWork (screen attached). It does work in Safar though.

Have you already found a solution?

Best,

Wojtek

User uploaded file

Share: where Mail is not default email client

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.