Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Strange patterns during startup

Since a year I noticed strange black and white patterns shown on my Cinema Display 30 and strange noise pattern on the secondary Philips monitor during startup. I have a 3.1 MacPro w. ATI Radeon HD 2600 video card, and I am using Mac OSX 10.6.8.

I have tried several software solutions, and PRAM reset as well. Unfortunately the problem still occurs.

User uploaded file

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 1, 2012 12:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2012 5:31 AM

What is shown on the display is often a window into the display memory. Patterns such as the ones you are seeing may indicate that the RAM on the display card is failing.

The Apple-brand ATI 5770 is a good replacement card, and as long as you are running 10.6.5 or later, seems to work in all models MacPro.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 1, 2012 5:31 AM in response to sgyaa

What is shown on the display is often a window into the display memory. Patterns such as the ones you are seeing may indicate that the RAM on the display card is failing.

The Apple-brand ATI 5770 is a good replacement card, and as long as you are running 10.6.5 or later, seems to work in all models MacPro.

Strange patterns during startup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.