Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will my 4-pin Firewire cable work?

I've jsut bought a new iMac and want to transfer data from my old one.

The old Mac is 24" Late 2006 model and has two different Firewire ports - I think one is 9 pin and the other 6 pin.

The new iMac has the the smaller 6 pin port.

I've just been to buy a suitable FW cable and have got a 4-pin one. (I'm at work and was unable to double-check the ports on the machine.

I understand that on a 6-pin cable, 2 of the pins are for power, not data, which suggests I don't need them for this data transfer.

Will this cable work? Will it even physically fit?

Thanks

Posted on Aug 1, 2012 5:41 AM

10 replies

Aug 1, 2012 5:50 AM in response to rkaufmann87

As I understand it, it is preferable to use the 6-pin port as it's faster, so not sure why you've recommend a 9/6 one?

Also, could someone answer my specific question about whether the 4-pin will work, becuase the pins that provide power aren't needed?

(I'm in the UK - no Radio Shack here! I'd like the cable today so ideally would get one from the limited shops in my town centre)

Thanks

Aug 1, 2012 6:32 AM in response to Gfoxcroft

Sort of as an aside, but perhaps the optimal thing to do is to buy a firewire 800 cable, and then buy one of the little firewire 800-400 adapters for one end. That way you would have a cable for the currently used Firewire 800 standard, and just use the adapter for connecting to FireWire 400 ports as needed (the little cable-end adapters from Sonnet, Moshi or others are in the $15-$20 range).

Will my 4-pin Firewire cable work?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.