Skip navigation

Broken headphone jack! 3.5mm dillemma. Help. Please.

85896 Views 37 Replies Latest reply: Apr 13, 2014 11:52 AM by MartyChicago RSS
1 2 3 Previous Next
apanster Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Aug 1, 2012 5:53 AM

Hi.

So my headphone jack has broken off clean into two pieces.

The trouble is the 3.5mm jack protuberant is now stuck inside my iTouch and due to the amazing self-locking mechanism of earphone/headphone ends, it will not come out, whatever I do.

Tweezers have not helped, neither has a small magnet.

I'm glad I gave up on the magnet for I have now come to know that the hdd is right next to the earphone socket.

Anyway, I need help.

How do I get that broken-piece out of the socket?!

Please. Help.

Many thanks, in advance.

- AP.

iPod touch, iOS 5.0.1
  • lllaass Level 10 Level 10 (134,915 points)

I would make an appointment at the Genius Bar of an Apple store. Maybe they can get it out.

BTW, the iPod uses Flash memory. It does not have magnetic storage media like a hard disk.

• lllaass Level 10 Level 10 (134,915 points)

You tried all I would try. I would not try the drill bit since could likely destroy the headphone jack if you are not careful.

• AJK1979 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hi AP,

Just to give you a little encouragement, my buddy and I just got the end of a jackplug out of an ipad 3! Having tried all manner of tweezer/plier combos and then having moved onto various attempts with glues (both epoxy and superglue), we just succeeded using the method found here-

https://discussions.apple.com/message/17542607#17542607

We chopped off a cheap piece of aerial of a little radio set (the second section of a telescoping antenna), filed off the rough edges and checked with another jack plug to see that it was big enough in diameter to just fit over the piece in question, then we gripped it with pliers as we carefully knocked the aerial section down into the hole. We made a few markings on the pipe so we could check how far it was moving, and when we figured we were down at the level of the edge of the broken plug, progress seemed to stop. At that point we began using the pliers to give a turning force to the tube as we gently tapped it with the hammer. Suddenly the tube snicked down by about 3mm... We held our breaths as we held the ipad upside-down (so that if the plug had been loosened but was now subject to gravity we wouldn't leave it behind!) and used the pliers to pull out the tube.

Voila! That is an ipad that now plays sound.

[SEE BELOW AT BOTTOM OF COMMENT FOR A CHANGE TO THIS!!] As a caveat, I should point out that the socket is not itself yet functioning. I think we have done a little damage to it, or it is possible that there is glue from our previous attempts now coating an important contact. I appreciate that if your prob is with an iphone or ipod then it won't do at all to have a non-functioning socket. This is marginally less of an issue for the ipad, which can at least now be used to play sound and isn't rendered completely mute.

I'll post again if I ever figure out what happened, if you like.

Good luck with it,

Alex

STOP PRESS!! My buddy just came back in and showed me- ignore the above about the socket not working!! Just discovered the ipad has two seperate volume controls, one for the jack and one for the speaker!!! Woohoo it's as good as new!

Message was edited by: AJK1979

• AJK1979 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I should add- a big thank you to ITHACAN99 for that brilliant tip!!

• manoj karnati Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Aug 29, 2012 11:38 AM (in response to apanster)

@Apanster:

Hi dude,

I too had a same problem, when I attached AUX IN pin of my car to my ipad it got stucked in it.I went to Apple Store, they were helpless and asked me to replace it with new one for 16000 INR.

What I did is, I took a refill of a pen and sharped its back so that it exactly sits into the gap. After thar I applied some pressure and pulled it out...I got the remaining part wich was stucked.

Try this, I hope this is risk free. All the Best.

• astraphell Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

We have been dealing with a mute iPad for months now after one of the kids broke the jack from a pair of cheap headphones in it. We took it to the Apple Store (no dice) and to a third-party repair shop that wanted to charge us $80 to take the entire thing apart. After I read your solution about the pen refill, I grabbed the nearest cheapie ballpoint, pulled it apart and saw that the end was the exact right size to fit in the hole. I used a pair of pliers to grab it and really shove it in there, and then pulled it out. Voila! Months of suffering done in 30 seconds! Just had to say thanks!

• Daniesmell Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Nov 27, 2012 10:13 AM (in response to apanster)

So, I had my shiny new iPad and inside it was the tip of a jack/headphone which some how managed to break inside my iPad. Epic fail. Desperate to be able to listen to audio from my iPad again and frustrated by the failed attempts to remove the tip using tweezers, toothpicks, super glue and the inner part of Bic biros I started to pace up and down my bedroom to find something, anything that might help.

What I used:

Wooden Cuticle Stick (for those who aren't familiar with what this is, it can be bought from most pharmacies, chemists or drug stores and usually comes in a set of 3 or more or in a nail kit)

Knife (to cut one end of the Cuticle Stick so that it is flat)

Needle (to make a small hole in the flat end of the Cuticle Stick)

Super Glue

What I did:

1.Cut the end of the Cuticle Stick so that it was flat

2.Made a hole in the flat end of the Cuticle Stick about the same size as the part of the tip that was sticking up. Tried it out for size by inserting the stick into my iPad

3.Applied a small blob of Super Glue into the hole at the end of the Cuticle Stick

4.Inserted the Cuticle Stick into my iPad and held it in place whilst turning my iPad around so that the Stick was pointing downwards

5.Left the glue to set for about 1.5 minutes

6.Pulled the stick out of my iPad and the jack came out too!!!!!

If anyone knows how I can post images up here (I can't find the camera icon!) then let me know and I'll add the images.

Good luck!!!

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi
  • moorem85 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I had very good luck with a thumbtack with the end bent like a hook. Pushed the thumbtack into the broken piece of headphone and twisted the thumbtack a couple of times. When it felt like it had a good grasp I quickly pulled the thumbtack out and the broken piece.

thumb.jpeg

• Penpell Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Thumbtack did the job, thank you so much. A very very happy teenage daughter :-)

• mlgk Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

There are 2 solutions for a headphone tip broken in the laptop. (I did go the the Apple store and they couldn't get it out.) 1. HMDX bluetooth speaker. I'm not sure if there is a headphone jack. After months of no audio with the tip still stuck in my computer a friend bluetoothed my laptop up with his little speaker and voila! Sound!

2. A USB plug in with a headphone port. Haven't tried yet but ordered this from Amazon for $8.99 with free shipping: High QualitySYBA Accessory SD-CM-UAUD USB Stereo Audio Adapter RoHS Sound Retail

• Beeyoung88 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I got mine out! Here is my way...

I took a bobby pin, straightened jt out, and pulled off the plastic end of one side. This exposes a sharp, blunt end. Because my jack broke off VERY low, there was no "hole" to stick a toothpick, thumbtack or anything in. There was a little gap on the side, I pushed the bobby pin in and slowly pulled out. It literally took 1 minute total, and 2 seconds to pull out.

Thanks to all the suggestions here, this idea was due to inspiration.

Too bad I went soundless for 2 months though =)

1 2 3 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.