Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trackpad loosing gestures

Since installing Mountain Lion 2 days ago I have this intermittent situation. When waking the iMac from sleep the majority of magic trackpad gestures are lost. The scrolling arrow function remains but other 2, 3 finger and 4 finger gestures are removed. Also the F3 button on the keyboard remains inactive. I have unpaired, repaired the trackpad and keyboard to no effect. It is a shame it doesnt happen everytime the imac is woken from sleep and a reboot always cures it, but has anyone else experienced this?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 1, 2012 5:52 AM

10 replies

Aug 4, 2012 4:43 AM in response to PeteKettell

Addendum: As this keeps happening i got out my old magic mouse and guess what? This has exactly the same characteristics of the arrow poiter and page swipe being active but no other gesture. So it isnt the mouse of trackpad hardware and both have been paired/unpiared. Bizarre. I also note that as I have had no replies to this problem no one else is experiencing it, even odder.

Aug 7, 2012 1:21 AM in response to PeteKettell

A few days into this problem the iMac then hung and wouldnt respond to any command. I did an SMC reset and since then all has been fine. The computer wakes from sleep with all trackpad functions. Maybe it was a glitch and nobody else clearly has the problem, so I'm sorry for wasting anybodys time. Isnt the internet just full of Doom Merchants?

Aug 21, 2012 7:43 AM in response to Gat0r

oh I feel much better now, thanks very much. It's like I've joined a club!

The other thread was interesting, thanks, but I'm not sure that any of the suggestions are much better than just rebooting or stopping the system from sleeping, which does seem, in my case, to be the trigger to the event.

First time in years Ive ever encountered a problem with an Apple OS update, I trust them to sort it. Thanks for all the help, you're a good man.

Trackpad loosing gestures

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.