Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mountain lion

nothing in my iWorks app opens. Upgraded from Lion, performed all the updates before doing so, and now nothing works. Pages and numbers open, but I cannot create new documents. Clicking on NEW does not create a new document. Clicking on "new from template" brings up a black window with nothing to select. I tried unistalling everything twice (and updating), but nothing. I use both programs for work everyday. I cannot live without them? Please HELP! Also, I cannot even open old files!!!!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 1, 2012 6:51 AM

7 replies

Aug 15, 2012 8:27 PM in response to Iltenore

I have the same issue and I do not have BTT installed.

I uninstalled iWork, reinstalled from DVD and then executed a software upgrade from the Store. This failed with the same symptom so I did it again after unistalling using AppTrap to make sure I removed all files and then went through the process, adding a reboot after the uninstall. I also removed the old files from the trash.

Just to be clear, it occurs for Keynote, Pages and Numbers.

😕

So un-Apple like ...

I hope someone can help.

brettm

Message was edited by: brettmac9022

Aug 15, 2012 11:37 PM in response to brettmac9022

Don't rely on a third-party utility to remove iWork files completely. I've not heard of one yet that does a complete job. You can do it manually or use an AppleScript. The files to delete are the iWork ’09 folder from the main HD > Applications; the iWork ’09 folder in HD > Library > Application Support & the individual iWork application plist files found in HD > Users > (your account) > Library > Preferences for each user. Yvan Koenig has written an AppleScript that removes the files. You can find it on his box.com account in for_iWork'09 > other_iWork'09 items > uninstall iWork '09.zip.

User uploaded file

Aug 18, 2012 6:55 AM in response to Peggy

Having had loads of trouble with upgrading from Snow Leopard to Lion and loads of weird things happening whilst using Lion, I decided this time to do a clean install. I already had a bootable backup copy on an external HDD (courtesy of SuperDuper) so I re-formatted the boot partition on my MacBook Pro, booted up on the external HDD, accessed the store, downloaded lion and installed it on the internal boot partition. I have since been (and am still in the process of) re-installing all of the programs and utilities I use. However, I seem to now have a stable system AT LAST! Only downside is the pesky re-authorisation of some of the software and having to dig out all the serial numbers for the other programs and utilities I use.

To conclude then - I fully recommend this route if you want to make sure you can have a fresh start with the new OS.

Mike.

P.S. Just spent nearly an hour (offline) in a cafe just trying to move a folder on the same drive up one level in the folder hieracy, because the OS 'insisted' on copying the 6,000 odd files contained in it! Anyone know what the new modifier keys are in Mountain Lion that will enable me to move a folder instead of copying it???????

Aug 19, 2012 5:24 AM in response to Peggy

Hi Peggy, That didn't work, like you said it still copies the folders.

However, I've just done a few experiments and I think I am now in a position to answer my own question.

The answer is a 'permission' problem. Logged in as a user, I was trying to move a folder up one level on the same drive, but this folder had administrator priviliges - so it copied the lot rather than moving them.

I logged in as administrator and tried the same again - this time it just moved the folder in an instant!

The reverse is also true. Logged in as administrator I cannot move a folder (or file) when it has 'user' permissions - It will only copy the lot! The folder I was originally trying to move had been created whilst using Lion, not Mountain Lion. So since I was using Mountain Lion when trying to move the folder I had no priviliges over the folder or the files contained within it.

Perhaps this info might be of use to others, meaning that they will have to alter permissions if they want to move folders or files, not copy them.

Regards, Mike.

mountain lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.