Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ethernet has completely stopped working

Here is what happened:
This morning, my ethernet port was working just fine. I could and did connect to the internet.

I was working on my Windows side (recently installed Windows 7 from Windows XP Service Pack 3 on Boot Camp. Installed both the drivers from my original computer and the Boot Camp drivers up to 3.1)

I plugged in my external hard drive and was fooling around with a few things on it, then left it and continued to work on my computer. I wanted to safely eject the external hard drive so, I went to the eject option. It told me that a program was still using it and I was not able to eject it. When I had this problem on my Mac side, the recommendation was to simply log off and log back in and then I could eject it safely. Since that has worked on my Mac side, I tried it on my Windows side. However, after 10+ minutes of Windows "Logging me out" I got frustrated (I'm at work) and manually shut down the computer by holding down the power button.

I started my computer back up to my Mac side because I had some files on there that I wanted to put on my external hard drive. After doing so, I went back on my Windows side to find out that I could not connect to the internet. (The only way for me to connect to the internet at work is through an ethernet cable. Right now, I am using my co-worker's computer). It said that there was something wrong with the NVIDIA (SP?) ethernet program/whatever it is.

I logged back onto my Mac side and I am having the same problem, I cannot get my ethernet to connect. I tried a different port and that one didn't work either so it's not the ethernet port or the ethernet cable, it is definitely my computer.

Can I simply re-download the Boot Camp 3.1 driver and have it work again? Or is it something wrong with my ethernet jack period?

I don't understand why manually restarting my computer would have caused such a problem. I have done it before on my Windows side once and countless amounts of times on my Mac side (I have had my computer for a good 3/4 years now).

It is out of warranty which is why I came here with my problem. Hopefully someone knows how to fix it. Thanks in advance!

2.4GHz Macbook, 2G RAM, 250G Harddrive, Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Aug 1, 2012 10:11 AM

There are no replies.

Ethernet has completely stopped working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.