Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I deactivate the "guest user"

Everybody can go into the "guest user" account. How can I deactivate or delete this silly account?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 1, 2012 10:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2012 10:48 AM

Hi

The only way i know is to go to system prefrences and click on Users & Groups then click on the pad lock in the lower left hand corner. Put in your password then it will let you select the Guest account and on the right hand side of the window untick all three boxes. That will make the account non active. But im afraid your stuck with the account for now even though its not active.

Hope that helps

32 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 1, 2012 10:48 AM in response to LukasCF

Hi

The only way i know is to go to system prefrences and click on Users & Groups then click on the pad lock in the lower left hand corner. Put in your password then it will let you select the Guest account and on the right hand side of the window untick all three boxes. That will make the account non active. But im afraid your stuck with the account for now even though its not active.

Hope that helps

Aug 1, 2012 11:10 AM in response to LukasCF

A "Guest Account" is set up through the Users and Groups preferences and has some access to your computer. The "Guest User" is part of the "Find My Mac" iCloud function and is controlled thorugh the Security and Privacy Preferences. I haven't got it in front of me but I think the option is labled "Enable Restart to Safari" or something similar. They are two different things. The latter only gives the user a path to the Internet, not access to anything on the computer if you have FileVault enabled. The Guest User is an important security feature as it allows your Mac to be recovered if it is stolen. With FileVault, the Guest User copy of Safari runs from the recovery partition and your drive is never even decrypted.

Steve

Aug 1, 2012 4:55 PM in response to Lanny

Lanny wrote:

If you deactivate the guest user settings in User and Groups, uncheck "Wake for network access' in Energy Saver, and uncheck "Find My Mac" in iCloud, the Guest user will no longer be displayed.

I see your Guest User still shows up but Disabled.

Same as mine.

I don't think you can get rid of the Guest User, only Disable it like you show.

User uploaded file

At least I can't with everything turned off and unchecked like you mention.

How can I deactivate the "guest user"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.