Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using a different web browser with Mail

I know it's heretical but Apple's Mail app assumes I want to search the Web with Safari (via its 'Search with Google' choice). Well, that's not my case as I use Chrome as my default browser.

Is there a way to configure the Mail app so that it'll open a new Chrome window rather than starting Safari (which is typically not running)?

TIA,

David

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4), 27" I5

Posted on Aug 1, 2012 12:28 PM

12 replies

Aug 1, 2012 2:55 PM in response to drschwartz

The Search with Google command is a function of Safari. It has nothing to do with Mail, even though you see the option while in Mail (the same command appears in other applications, TextEdit for example), and it has nothing to do with your default browser. It is a service built into Safari and offered to other applications.

In order to do this with Chrome, Chrome would have to offer a similar service. If it does, the service would appear in the Services menu, however. If Chrome does not offer such a service, it might be possible to create one with Automator.

Aug 11, 2012 1:28 PM in response to Jeffrey Jones2

Hi Jeffrey,

Thank you for the advice above! I'm having the same problem since a recent OS upgrade to Snow Leopard - following your instructions I can make Chrome my default browser (I was skeptical that it had anything to do with Safari, but you were absolutely right, it worked brilliantly) The problem is that if I change my default to my chosen browser, Firefox, I get the "Error - No associated application could be found" message if I try to open a link in Mail. I've restarted Mail, relaunched browser, etc....

I'm using

• Mac OS X 10.6.8 (just installed, and the problem has been happening since install)
  • Mail 4.5
  • Firefox 14.0.1

Any ideas would be appreciated - Chrome is better than nothing, but I'd still love to figure out what's happening.

Many thanks,

MC

Oct 9, 2013 11:36 AM in response to drschwartz

I found this: http://rentzsch.tumblr.com/post/5794765921/search-with-google-using-chrome

And did it exactly as he suggests.

I have zero programming experience, but only had to figure out how to add a Run Shell Script action in Automator, which I learned from the Automator Help, and was good to go. Saved the service and now I've got the "Search with Google (Wolf)" option if I right click text in Mail, and it uses Chrome.

Hope this helps.

Nov 20, 2013 10:07 AM in response to NickWeber

Solved. Thank you.

BTW: How do we use the "this solved my problem - 10 points" feature?

NickWeber wrote:

I found this: http://rentzsch.tumblr.com/post/5794765921/search-with-google-using-chrome

And did it exactly as he suggests.

I have zero programming experience, but only had to figure out how to add a Run Shell Script action in Automator, which I learned from the Automator Help, and was good to go. Saved the service and now I've got the "Search with Google (Wolf)" option if I right click text in Mail, and it uses Chrome.

Hope this helps.

Using a different web browser with Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.