Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I import folders from another computers mail?

I have an iMac with Mountain Lion, and the wife has an older Macbook that won't

take Mountain Lion. She's thinking of giving the Macbook away, but wants to save

her mail folders to MY iMac. Is this kind of import possible. We do have sharing

set up.

Thanks

iMac (21.5-inch Late 2009), OS X Mountain Lion, 500 gig HD, 4 gig RAM, superdrive

Posted on Aug 1, 2012 3:39 PM

12 replies

Aug 18, 2012 2:50 PM in response to MacDenney

As to the two things in your 2:05 message, here are my recommendations:

1) Any folders (groups of mailboxes) and mailboxes (groups of messages) currently on IMAP servers should become available to the iPad as soon as it signs onto the account(s) they are on. No further action should be necessary for them.

2) Any messages currently residing on your iMac (both those inside "On My Mac" and inside the Inbox(es) associated with your POP-based account(s) and POP-based access to dual-mode accounts) should be transferred to IMAP servers where they can be access by the iPad.

As for your AppleID having both an iCloud account and a POP account as per your 2:10 message, the POP mailbox must date from the MobileMe era, since Apple doesn't offer POP access to iCloud accounts. The actual messages would now reside on your iMac (and possibly other computers if you used more than one). This is a good thing, since the MobileMe servers are no longer accessible.

I hope this helps.

Aug 18, 2012 5:30 PM in response to MacDenney

MacDenney wrote:

Two things I don't understand:

1) For IMAP, I want to copy & transfer mailboxes (folders) from mail on my iMac, to the iPad.

2) How do I transfer the POP folders from the server to the iPad?

Thanks so much for tryiing to help!

Please read my post again, I covered both of those issues, and you read it wrong.

Aug 23, 2012 8:03 PM in response to markwmsn

I'm beginning to realize that I don't know how to ask the proper questions.

On my computers and devices I have 2 accounts on Applemail : one is now the "iCloud" which has my Apple ID

(IMAP); the other is a POP account with a separate ISP (surewest.net).

I was hoping to use the folders and mailboxes containing saved messages from both accounts on my iOS

devices.

I don't know how to access those folders/mailboxes from the servers you mentioned. Would they also

contain the messages saved from the POP account as well?

You are very patient with me, and I appreciate your trying to help!

Can I import folders from another computers mail?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.