Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I turn on Photostream?

I open iPhoto and regardless if I go to the Photostream tab and click "Turn On Photostream" or go to iPhoto Preferences and check "Enable Photostream", nothing happens. The button does it's little animation to acknowledge I clicked it and the check box unchecks as fast as I check it. I've deleted the iphoto related "com.apple...plist" files in ~/Library/Preferences and tried again and still nothing. It's iPhoto 9.2.3 and I'm running Mac OS X 10.7.4

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Aug 1, 2012 4:57 PM

11 replies

Oct 14, 2012 3:52 PM in response to RJ86

I was having the same problem. Tried all the methods on helpdeskgeek but none of them worked. Found a tip that suggested signing out of iCloud so I tried it and "hey presto" it was all sorted. Not sure if it needs to be done in combination with the other suggestions as I also did some of those as well. Additionally, I didn't turn on any of the other options in iCloud apart Photo Stream until it was working. Again, not sure if all that's necessary. You'll get a few scary warnings when you sign out asking if you want to delete files on your mac: click cancel and (IMPORTANT) back up the data from all the apps that are mentioned as here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4901

I had to import the iCal backup once I'd signed in again but nothing else.

That's about it! Hope it helps you.

Jul 25, 2013 2:35 PM in response to benbischoff

Method 1 of benbischoff's post fixed my problem! iPhoto was virutally useless to me after having worked since I got my MacBook over a year and a half ago. Then one day it was slow as a dog, using a ton of system resources and I couldn't access my Photo Stream. I did the steps in Method 1 and after I restarted my computer and iPhoto it took a few minutes for it to come back up and active again but now it is all working prefect and responsive as ever! Thank you! I was about ready to ditch iPhoto for good.

Why can't I turn on Photostream?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.