Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

files disappear from iTunes, but still plays on iPod Touch

After I have synced iTunes music with my iPod Touch, files disappear from the iTunes library, and I can no longer play them from iTunes, but can still play them on the iPod. First, why does this happen, second, can I sync them back to iTunes?

Thanks,

Klaus

iPod touch, iOS 5.0.1, 3rd gen

Posted on Aug 1, 2012 6:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2012 7:24 AM

I have found the answer:

After the last iTunes upgrade, and the subsequent syncing, iTunes syncs iTunes purchased items. All others it considers ‘pirated,’ and omits and deletes the files. I have a vast collection of songs that I laboriously digitized from my vinyl collection, and was hopping mad that iTunes nonchalantly deleted the files without any warning.

I was forced to buy a third party application to sync the songs back from my Touch to iTunes.

I learned that iTunes is built to sync TO iPhones/iPods/iPads, but not FROM them. Therefore syncing is a misleading verb. It should say that iTunes ‘overwrites.’ It’s supposed to ‘protect‘ copyright holders.

Klaus

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 7, 2012 7:24 AM in response to Klaus Blume

I have found the answer:

After the last iTunes upgrade, and the subsequent syncing, iTunes syncs iTunes purchased items. All others it considers ‘pirated,’ and omits and deletes the files. I have a vast collection of songs that I laboriously digitized from my vinyl collection, and was hopping mad that iTunes nonchalantly deleted the files without any warning.

I was forced to buy a third party application to sync the songs back from my Touch to iTunes.

I learned that iTunes is built to sync TO iPhones/iPods/iPads, but not FROM them. Therefore syncing is a misleading verb. It should say that iTunes ‘overwrites.’ It’s supposed to ‘protect‘ copyright holders.

Klaus

files disappear from iTunes, but still plays on iPod Touch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.