Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Replaced Hard Drive in Black Macbook with Bad Optical Drive, Now What?

Hi all,

First time posting, but I'm in a jam, and I'm stuck.

I have a black macbook that was running OSX 10.4 in which the hard drive went bad (clicking sound on startup, flashing question mark). It was had a black Seagate 160 GB that came standard with it (the memory is what came standard with as well).

I replaced it with a Segate 500 GB hard drive. Its installed, but I realized the Optical Drive on the Macbook is also broken (will not take the CD in). Is there anyway I can re-install Tiger on USB drive or is the only ways to do it by purchasing a new optical drive or by firewire (and if I do that, can I buy a firewire to USB converter and hook it in to my late 2010 Macboo and load it that way?)

Also, with the new hard drive in, should anything be coming on screen? When I press the power button, the screen flashes, but goes back to black and the Opitcal Drive make its startup noise, and you can hear the hard drvie spinning inside, but nothing else happens. Should it not be showing me the flashing the Question Mark again (in which case is that a RAM or logic board issue?).

Sorry for all the questions in the same thread, I bet most of you who entered it were thinking it was going to be an easy answer...

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.4.6)

Posted on Aug 1, 2012 7:48 PM

There are no replies.

Replaced Hard Drive in Black Macbook with Bad Optical Drive, Now What?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.