Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I move mp3 files from my iPod to my computer?

Short version:

I need to move music from my iPod to my computer so I can fix ID3 (or AAC) tags on the mp3 files, then move the same, corrected mp3 files back to the iPod.

Long version:

I used to have a Pioneer car stereo with iPod control. It displayed all of the song information correctly. I got a new car about a year ago that didn't have iPod control. Today, I finally got a new stereo that supports full iPod control. I plugged in my iPod for the first time in over a year (I only use it in my car). The files may have become corrupt or something while my iPod has been collecting dust, but now the song title, artist, and album are all displayed as the song title.

Instead of:

Gimme Shelter

Rolling Stones

Greatest Hits

It displays:

Gimme Shelter

Gimme Shelter

Gimme Shelter

The real head scratcher for me is that it only does this on some songs. Maybe 10% of the songs still have the ID3 tag intact (although the album art doesn't display so I want to fix that anyway).

I don't use the iTunes store. All of the music that is on my iPod was legally purchased as CDs and ripped to my old computer years ago. I don't have that computer any more, and I no longer have the mp3 library that was on it. I don't want to go through the hassle of ripping all of my music from my CD library back to my computer, import it to iTunes, then copy it over to my iPod. It seems like I should be able to transfer my ripped mp3 library from my iPod into my new computer, fix the ID3 tags, then copy them back to my iPod.

I'm using an old 30GB iPod Video. I have no use for upgrading it to something new.

I found this article:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1329

But it explicitly states that it won't work with music that wasn't purchased from the iTunes store (which mine wasn't). I really wish that Apple didn't think it knew what was best for me and would let me use the hardware that I purchased the way that I want to use it. Is there any third party software or anything that will help me do what I need to do?

30GB iPod Video-OTHER, Windows 7

Posted on Aug 1, 2012 8:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2012 11:19 PM

That article is about using your iPod as an external hard drive, to move files from one computer to another computer. It is not related to your question.

You can't use iTunes to move song files from iPod to computer, except for songs you purchased from the iTunes Store (and you can also re-download purchases). However, there are third-party methods and utilities that can move song files from iPod to computer. If you do a Google search on something like "ipod transfer," you should get some links.

Once the song files are on your current computer, add them to that computer's iTunes library by dragging the files (or folder containing the files) to the iTunes window. After confirming everything is there (and fixing the data issue you mentioned) you can sync the iPod. You may want to do a Restore on the iPod, if it might have a data corruption issue, which will erase the iPod's hard drive, re-install the latest software, and set it to defautl settings.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 1, 2012 11:19 PM in response to robtheman42

That article is about using your iPod as an external hard drive, to move files from one computer to another computer. It is not related to your question.

You can't use iTunes to move song files from iPod to computer, except for songs you purchased from the iTunes Store (and you can also re-download purchases). However, there are third-party methods and utilities that can move song files from iPod to computer. If you do a Google search on something like "ipod transfer," you should get some links.

Once the song files are on your current computer, add them to that computer's iTunes library by dragging the files (or folder containing the files) to the iTunes window. After confirming everything is there (and fixing the data issue you mentioned) you can sync the iPod. You may want to do a Restore on the iPod, if it might have a data corruption issue, which will erase the iPod's hard drive, re-install the latest software, and set it to defautl settings.

How do I move mp3 files from my iPod to my computer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.