Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail Manual Migration 10.6 to 10.8

I am currently making the switch from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion. I have always manually migrated all of my data because I feel its better to give the hard drive a chance for some spring cleaning and get rid of the junk that accumulates over the years. Apple mail seems to organize the mail files a little differently than in 10.6. I see a V2 folder in it and I made a test account to compare with how my Mail folder looks, and they do look a bit different.

My Question:

I read in another forum that if you simply paste everything from the old mail folder to the new one (along with relevant preference and keychain files) that mail in 10.8 will do what it needs to do to organize them. Is this true? If I simply drag and drop everything from my old mail folder, will mountain lion mail recognize those files and work without a problem?

 Mac Pro 1,1 Intel Dual-Core 2.66 GHz/ 5GB RAM/ 4 TB Storage, Mac OS X (10.6.4),  MBP 7,1 (17")/ Intel Core i7 2.66 GHz/ 4GB RAM/ 500 GB Storage

Posted on Aug 1, 2012 9:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2012 9:46 PM

You should just copy the whole Mail folder over. Mail will migrate it to the new format when you first launch it, as it changes the format of its database.

You may wish to copy the entire ~/Library/Mail Downloads folder as well.

Frankly, I think it's easiest to just upgrade in place (or use Migration Assistant), but if you want to do it the hard way for little benefit, I won't try to stop you ;-)

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 1, 2012 9:46 PM in response to Chukk707

You should just copy the whole Mail folder over. Mail will migrate it to the new format when you first launch it, as it changes the format of its database.

You may wish to copy the entire ~/Library/Mail Downloads folder as well.

Frankly, I think it's easiest to just upgrade in place (or use Migration Assistant), but if you want to do it the hard way for little benefit, I won't try to stop you ;-)

Aug 1, 2012 10:18 PM in response to William Lloyd

The V2 folder exists only on Mountain Lion.

I created a dummy account and when I do this it creates sub-folders within the V2 folder.

(~Mail/V2/mailboxes, ~Mail/V2/maildata etc.)

I have deleted those folders as to not make it messy as you alluded to, and I am thinking that since Mail is creating things inside V2, then that is where I should be copying the entire contents of Snow Leopard Library/Mail. Are all of your mail folders within ~Mail/V2?

Aug 2, 2012 7:42 AM in response to Chukk707

I moved all of my Snow Leopard data into the ~Mail/V2 folder, as well as com.apple.mail.plist into ~Library/Preferences, but when I open Mail it did not recognize this and it prompted me to create a new account.

I might try to make a few dummy accounts with mailboxes 'On my Mac' and then look at how they are organized and then put all of my old account data in the same place because just dumping all of my old ~Library/Mail data didn't seem to work.

Oct 2, 2012 7:53 PM in response to issen

The solution was to manually move everything. I really tried several different ways of dragging and dropping the old data into the new Mail folders, but in the end nothing worked and I had to manually recreate my accounts and move mailboxes over.

I first opened up mail and refreshed all accounts to get them up to date. I then made a time machine backup. Then one by one I exported all mailboxes on my mac to a folder on the desktop of the old drive.

On the new mac I opened up Mail and re-created my accounts. This gave me back only the mail in my inboxes, nothing else. I then imported all of the mailboxes individually, and placed them in the order I wanted them in. After that, I recreated all of my rules one by one (this was the longest and most annoying part), as well as my signatures.

So in the end I just had to do it the long, hard way, but I moved all of my data without losing a thing. If you have your mailboxes somewhat organized, and don't have a ridiculous amount of data you should be ok.

Dec 12, 2012 12:26 PM in response to issen

This thread explains how to import all the mailboxes (scroll to the bottom two posts—it works!):

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1422832

Basically delete the V2 folder and put Mail and Mail downloads in User/Library

but I still can't get my zillion imap accounts imported.

Anyone know how to migrate the imap accounts so I can get new mail without having to add each individually?

Apr 14, 2013 12:21 PM in response to Chukk707

I'm in the process of upgrading from an early 2008 iMac with Snow Leopard 10.6.8 to a Mid 2011 iMac with Mountain Lion 10.8.3 and had a similar query but things seem to have gone smothly for me with a manual mail transfer / migration.

I have 3 email accounts but quite a lot of messages along with folders, rules, etc to filter them all. At the very least, I just wanted to get all the messages across in tact and preferably in the correct folders. I was willing to set up the rest manually.

I have actually managed to transfer all messages, folders (with structure), rules and mail accounts with all server details. All I had to do was provide the 3 passwords. The ML installation was clean from scratch (bought it 2nd hand) and I did not open Mail at all. I don't know for sure whether this is very important but I worked on the basis that it might be.

I managed this by first rebuilding every mailbox and folder on the SL iMac. I then quit Mail and in Finder, I navigated to the Library where I copied the 'Mail' and 'Mail Downloads' folders to a USB stick. I also went to the preferences folder (still in Library) and copied the com.apple.mail.plist file but also came across another apple mail plist file with a lot of numbers and letters so I copied that to the USB stick too. So I have two folders and two plist files.

On the ML iMac, I navigate to Library (with a Finder windo open, click on the Go menu, hold left option key and it will appear in the menu). For safety's sake, I made a copy of the existing Mail folder which contained a V2 folder and some stuff under that. I then deleted it from the Library and copied the two folders on my USB stick. There were no mail plist files in the preferences folder (presumably because I hadn't run Mail at all yet), so I dropped in the two plist files from my SL machine.

That was it, so I ran Mail which came up with a first time use screen, then there was a splash screen informing me that it was updating / upgrading my migrated mailboxes, etc and that this may take a few minutes. I didn't time it but it didn't take very long and then it asked for passwords for each of my email accounts. After that, Mail opened a proper displaing all mailboxes, smart mailboxes, folders, accounts, etc. Rules appear to be in tact. Looking at the library now and the folder structure has completely changed with a V2 folder and so on.

This is exactly what I was hoping to achieve and I didn't think it would work but for those moving from SL to ML, it can be done. If it hadn't worked, my next move was to upgrade the SL iMac to ML and then try to migrate that way.

Hope it helps someone.

Nov 4, 2014 6:29 PM in response to cdw1952

UPDATE:

I just did another clean install 10.8 to 10.0. This time manual mail migration was very easy. I just copied over the V2 folder on the Yosemite drive and everything (accounts-both POP and IMAP, local mailboxes, rules, signatures) transferred over perfectly. The only thing I had to do was re-enter my account passwords and update my preferences, everything else moved over perfect. When Apple added the V2 folder it made the 10.6 to 10.8 difficult, but the format is the same from 10.8 to 10.10 so a drag and drop works fine.

Apple Mail Manual Migration 10.6 to 10.8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.