Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 7 fan control?

I have a new (2012) 15" MBP and I am having problems with my Boot Camped Windows 7 running really hot without the fans kicking in.

Are there any decent fan control programs out there?

I've tried Lubbo's and it seems to work intermittently.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 1, 2012 11:59 PM

4 replies

Aug 2, 2012 3:28 AM in response to NomenclatureArts

This is why running Windows on a Mac is not 100% supported or safe or the same.

Some claim that they can change the fan speed in OS X and then restart into Windows and the fan control persists but the critical flaw is lack of thermal sensor readings to trigger fan speed is lacking in a big way.

5 yrs ago I was hopefull that SpeedFan would. Seems like the perfect utility for someone if not Apple to invest in developing for Boot Camp.

Aug 5, 2012 2:01 PM in response to NomenclatureArts

I love hearing but I like even more where it is maintained. Yes Google and Bing can, but I spend so much time posting tips,with their link.

Lubbo's Fan Control is designed to be a speed fan controller for MacBook Pro Unibody (Nvidia) under BootCamp. It allows to control MacBook fans settings their speeds depending on the CPU and GPU temperature and it reports CPU and GPUs temperatures, current and target fans RPM.

ATTENTION: This program is designed and tested only on MacBook Pro with NVIDIA GPU.

On newer MacBooks with ATI GPU the GPU temperature is not checked.

On iMacs some sensors and fans are not used.

In any case USE AT YOUR OWN RISK, I'm not responsible for overheating or hardware damage.

Lubbo's MacBook Pro Fan Control from SourceForge.net

Seems like it is limited to MacBook only users

Jul 28, 2013 6:12 AM in response to NomenclatureArts

To get your fans to work on your Macbook Pro. Shut down you computer. After it is shut down press Command+Option+Control+Shift and then press the power button. Nothing should happen - your screen should remain blank. The computer should Not start to boot up at this point. After you have done this. Release the 4 buttons and press the power button once again. Use the Option Key to get back into your bootcamp Partition of Windows 7. The fans should now properly spin up when your computer starts to get hot.

I personally searched for hours for this same solution then finally resorted to calling apple. It was a very simple thing to do for something so important as cooling. The key combination resets your hardware settings in your bios for the fans. My fans now correctly function.

I am running a MacBook Pro 13" Early 2011.

Windows 7 fan control?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.