Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is iMessage free when you travel oversees

Sorry folks is this an idiot of a question, but when you going oversees and out of the UK, for example to Spain, does iMessage still remain free no international charges ect..

AppleTV 2

Posted on Aug 2, 2012 3:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2012 3:58 AM

Huh, maybe I'm not being clear... when you use iMessage in the uk, that being the following this is how it works and the cost

Option 1. iMessage to iMessage - its free of charge (iphone to another apple device)

Option 2. iMessage to SMS - iPhone to aonther mobile phone (normal data carrier charges apply, although they normaly include a selection of free texts in your tarrif.

So my question is about option 1 as i do understand option 2 will incur charges when used abroad, I just thought iMessage to iMessage is always free using celluar, hence why im trying to find if this is the same abroad....its not a hard question!

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 2, 2012 3:58 AM in response to modular747

Huh, maybe I'm not being clear... when you use iMessage in the uk, that being the following this is how it works and the cost

Option 1. iMessage to iMessage - its free of charge (iphone to another apple device)

Option 2. iMessage to SMS - iPhone to aonther mobile phone (normal data carrier charges apply, although they normaly include a selection of free texts in your tarrif.

So my question is about option 1 as i do understand option 2 will incur charges when used abroad, I just thought iMessage to iMessage is always free using celluar, hence why im trying to find if this is the same abroad....its not a hard question!

Aug 2, 2012 10:04 AM in response to The Real JimC

So hopefully someone else will understand what im asking.

We all understand what you're asking, and from your responses so far, it's safe to say you haven't understood a single word of the correct answers you've received. One last try, then I'm done:

1. There is no "iMessage app." iMessage is a function of the Messages app, which also does SMS and MMS. iMessage requires 2 iOS devices running iOS 5 or later, with both connected to either cell data (i.e. 3G) or WiFi.

2. Otherwise the message is sent SMS or MMS and charged accordingly. If sending internationally, there often is an extra charge for SMS and MMS.

3. iMessage is "free" everywhere - UK, USA, Tierra del Fuego, or Mars. There is no extra charge for international iMessages. The only caveat is that if the cell data network is used instead of WiFI, some of your data allotment is consumed and you're paying for that.

4. If you still don't get it, this video will put it in perspective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQGgaI-BcI4

Aug 2, 2012 12:10 PM in response to The Real JimC

The Real JimC wrote:

So for anyone else that needs to know the answer. If using iMessage abroad or even at home there is data usage it usage maybe very small and wont be reflected in your bill even if you're a heavy users like myself.

The data usage of any individual iMessage may be small. However, it can add up and will certainly show on your data usage. My carrier shows usage by the kilobyte. Whether it causes you to go over your limit is another question. Given that, while traveling abroad, my carrier charges $25/100 megabytes, I pay attention to every kilobyte. Telling people that it "wont (sic) be reflected in your bill" is bad advice.

Aug 2, 2012 7:37 AM in response to The Real JimC

The Real JimC wrote:

I get that and totally understand how it works Im not that bloody thick! Basically I was trying to be to simple with my explanation!

People are trying very hard to help you and in return, you are rude to them? This is an all volunteer forum. If you don't show some respect for people's efforts, you'll soon find that no one will be interested in helping you at all.

Best of luck.

Aug 2, 2012 4:10 AM in response to The Real JimC

There is no such thing as "Option 2", home or abroad. Either the message is sent via iMessage, or it is SMS. If you try to send an iMessage but won't connect, the phone defaults to SMS and you get charged the same as any SMS message.

"Option 1" is the only type of iMessage, and those are free, except for any standard cell data charges, no matter where you and the other party are.

Aug 2, 2012 11:41 AM in response to modular747

Obviously ur trying to be a smart arse and have played on words so i will leave you to contiune to very unconstructive support. If you took the time to read between the lines of my questions you would see that is clearly what i have been saying.

Its only now not through you i have discovered it uses a very small amount of data even for heavy user hence why it appeared as "free" as I have never really got any data usage against my account, as im mainly on wifi...hence why i thought it has appeared to be free.

1. There is no "iMessage app." iMessage is a function of the Messages app, which also does SMS and MMS. iMessage requires 2 iOS devices running iOS 5 or later, with both connected to either cell data (i.e. 3G) or WiFi.

Pandantic or what! That's whay i have been saying all along, obvioulsy you just wanna play on words

3. iMessage is "free" everywhere - UK, USA, Tierra del Fuego, or Mars. There is no extra charge for international iMessages. The only caveat is that if the cell data network is used instead of WiFI, some of your data allotment is consumed and you're paying for that.

It cant be free everywhere if "The only caveat is that if the cell data network is used instead of WiFI",

Aug 2, 2012 6:41 AM in response to frankieaglow

I get that and totally understand how it works Im not that bloody thick! Basically I was trying to be to simple with my explanation!

I was just trying to explain senarios, saying if you send an text to someone with another iphone it was iMessage to iMessage. then its free.

I realsise when you send a text message from your iPhone to another phone (blackberry, nokia, samsung) at home or abroad you will be charged as you are sending a text using the imessage app.

Its just what happens if both both phones are iphones using imessages as its surpose to be a free service for iphone users like Blackberry Messaging service!

Maybe in the States you get charged for using imessage - imessage (iPhone to iphone) we dont in the UK.

So hopefully someone else will understand what im asking..oh and i will just call my celluar provider maybe they can just tell me.

Aug 2, 2012 8:55 PM in response to The Real JimC

its only now not through you i have discovered it uses a very small amount of data even for heavy user hence why it appeared as "free" as I have never really got any data usage against my account, as im mainly on wifi...hence why i thought it has appeared to be free.
Since I said that at least 3 times in prior posts, at least it finally sunk in to your brain, even if you thought you found it out "not through me."
Pandantic or what!

Huh? Do you mean pedantic or semantic?? Seems that English is not your first language, and may be the problem with communicating.

Sep 6, 2012 4:41 AM in response to The Real JimC

Thought I would add to this thread by saying what has been said here several times, which is:

If you go abroad, and you use iMessage (through the Messages app) and you are off roaming (better yet, flight mode) and turn on WiFi from the hotel or coffee shop, etc. so you are NOT on any cellular net. Then through WiFi you can ONLY send messages to other users who have an iCloud account. You CANNOT send an SMS to a Blackberry or Android device. For that you need to turn on Cellular data which will cost you. If you are on only WiFi it will NOT cost you.

Is iMessage free when you travel oversees

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.