Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Since i don't have idvd on my new imac, what is the best alternative dvd burning program with similar features? (creating menus, elegant and easy to use, etc.)

I just found out that Apple no longer ships a solo version of idvd with the new macs. I used this program with my imac as it was simple and got the job done.

In imovie, under "share" there is an option for idvd, but it isn't a program i can get into like the old one for menu creation, etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a really good reliable dvd burning program with menu creation features similar to idvd?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Aug 2, 2012 4:37 AM

2 replies

Aug 2, 2012 5:17 AM in response to Germy1979

Hi

There are two answers

A. No there are nothing like iDVD - at all

B. read on

If there is no iDVD on Your Mac (and it's not on newer Macs as Apple discarded it) then You need a program that can do this.

Your Mac can burn CDs and DVDs - BUT DVD as Data-DVDs not as Video-DVDs - they need a program to be encoded and STRUCTURED as such.

• iDVD is part of the boxed version of iLife'11 and can only be bought outside Apple as on Amazon and e-bay

• DVD Studio pro - Part of FinalCut Studio Pro bundle - this to has expired and can only be bought second handed. (High price and tough learning Curve - but best ever done.)

• Roxio Toast™ - Not as elegant as iDVD - but has many other positive additions (I like it as 10-Pro incl BD-component) (now version 11)

• Burn - only free alternative I know of on internet. Very simple - Just for doing a plain Video-DVD

Burn http://www.digital-digest.com/software/Burn.html

only You can buy from Apple is

• FinalCut Pro-X which also can burn to DVD but without any nice themes.

AppleMan1958

You can also buy Compressor from Apple for $50 US. It will also create DVD and BluRay but without the nice themes.

Yours Bengt W

Aug 2, 2012 7:42 PM in response to Germy1979

Does anyone have any suggestions for a really good reliable dvd burning program with menu creation features similar to idvd?

Just 1, iDVD.

my new iMac

If you are still within your 15 day return period. Call Apple they will sent out iDVD at no charge. (There are no realistic substitutes.)

Nicely explain that you may return the computer without iDVD. That usually does the trick. You MUST speak to a senior advisor to get a free copy. The first tier people cannot do it.

408-996-1010

800-692-7753

If that doesn't work you can purchase iLife 11 (includes iDVD) on disk.

IDVD is a wonderful piece of software and well worth the low cost of $40.

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MC623Z-A-iLife-VERSION/dp/B003XKRZES/ref=sr_1_1?ie=U

http://dealmac.com/lw/artclick.html?1,527850,1872219

Since i don't have idvd on my new imac, what is the best alternative dvd burning program with similar features? (creating menus, elegant and easy to use, etc.)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.