Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't enroll devices in Profile Manager

Hello all. I'm new to setting up a server and I'm having a problem adding devices in the Profile Manager.

I'm setting up this server to admin 4 Macs, 3 iPads and 2 iPhone 4Ss, to act as a Time Machine backup point, and to host webpages/calendars.

I have my server set up with a domain name of: mediacenter.domain.com (where the domain.com part is my personal domain name) and signed with a SSL certificate (not a self-signed one).

When I go to enroll my devices at mediacenter.domain.com/mydevices I get the following errors:

- on iOS devices: A transaction with the server ..... has failed with the status "500"

- on my Macs: Could not download the identity profile from the Encrypted Profile Service. The credentials within the Device Enrollment Profile may have expired.

I have Profile Manager turned on, with device management Enabled. Sign configuration profiles is UNchecked (as I don't have a code-signing cert).

I've tried the server set up as a local network, a private network, and a domain. I've tried self-signed SSL certs, but that would only let me enroll my Macs, I could never get the iOS devices to trust the install profiles (even after downloading the Trust Profile).

Please help. I'd just like to be able to enroll my devices on the server. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

rick

OS X Server

Posted on Aug 2, 2012 6:55 AM

4 replies

Aug 6, 2012 3:13 AM in response to burnet77

I was never able to get profile manager to work on Lion, so I've done a complete fresh install in ML and it is now working, though its is very fragile, if you make any mistakes with setting it up it seems to perminiently ruin it, even if you use the Profile Manager Reset command

It is very particular about cerrtificates, I'm using it with Sign Configuration Profiles Checked and selecting the Certificate that is automatically created.

I'm also using self signed cerificates that are created by the server app.

Maybe if you have a test server, or blank partition you can do a fresh install and just set up profile manager and test if it works from there.

Aug 20, 2012 5:01 AM in response to burnet77

I'm using self signed cert along with code signing

DNS, OD master, profile manager, web server

FQDN for server name

Although I have an existing DNS lion setup enabled DNS and I just set my existing dns as a forwarder for the lion server

And left it alone. I did create an entry in my existing dns for the lion server so other machines on the LAN could find it

Is dns working ok

Can't enroll devices in Profile Manager

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.