Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

opening ARW files

I just bought Sony's new RX-100. It writes ARW raw files. The pix won't open in Aperture "unsupported image format." I saw a 2011 post saying there was no plug in. Is that still the case? That would be a disappointing surprise.

Intel Imac, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Aug 2, 2012 8:39 AM

9 replies

Aug 2, 2012 10:05 AM in response to léonie

Thank you. I did look at that page and it is not there. But AWR seems to be Sony's RAW codec. It's been out for a long time. And, of course, many Sony cameras shoot RAW.

I just spent a bizarre 1/2 hour online with a tech who took over my computer and installed a conversion program called Image Data Converter. It's a basic program that allows one to work with raw files and then convert them to tiff or jpeg, but not raw to Aperture.

It's hard to imagine that Sony wouldn't have a plug in, but the nice tech didn't volunteer one and said Sony knows no Aperture, of course.

I guess I'll have to return the camera. too bad. it's seems great.

Aug 2, 2012 11:46 AM in response to FFFF

The thing is here is that ARW is not "a" RAW format. It's a number of different formats. An ARW file for the RX-100 is not the same as one for a 2 year old camera. Apple needs a new converter for each specific Sony camera... so there could be tens of ARW formats that need to be supported.

Same with Canon and CR2 files. Though they all have the CR2 suffix, each of them is different, and each has to be explicitly supported once it comes out.

If your camera is a newly introduced camera, and it's popular, it's likely that Aperture will eventually support it, but it may take a while. And there's no easy way to know exactly when that might be.

Aug 2, 2012 12:04 PM in response to William Lloyd

William,

perfectly true.

Only the the AppleAperture Technical Specifications http://www.apple.com/aperture/specs/

list summarily .ARW, .CR2, .CRW, .MOS, .NEF, .RAF, .RAW, .SRW, .TIF, .OLY, .FFF, .3FR, .DNG1

as supported formats, the only footnote is affixed to .dng.

This is somewhat misleading, since the pointer to the supported cameras does not obviously restrict the suported formats. (See RAW support page for model listing.)

Léonie

Aug 12, 2012 11:18 AM in response to FFFF

I also just bought the Sony Cybershot RX100. Great camera, really love it. HOWEVER, I'm more than a little irked by Apple's inability to keep up with the trend recently.... I mean, didn't they READ about this camera? They should be prepared....didn't they read the NY Times review on this camera?
Apple: Get it together. You really need to get something to support this camera, because if not, I won't be using Aperture for much longer.
By the way, the Adobe program doesn't work either. Tried it.
Too stupid, these idiotic wars between the companies. Bad for business. Too bad Steve isn't still around....seems things are slipping a bit lately over there in Apple Town.

opening ARW files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.