Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't we select all email messages for "move" or "delete" on iPhone 4S?

Why can't I select all mail on my iPhone ail program?

I know I am not the only one frustrated by this lack of functionality. My last smart-phone was easier to deal with email in general.

I am very disappointed that after all this time there have been no updates to address this.

Apple iPhone team should be ashamed of themselves for treating us like sheep.

Don't try to protect me from myself, give me the functionality of ALL other smart phone mail programs.

Please fix, or I will be forced to consider other options.

I am seriously tired of selecting each mail for deletion.

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Aug 2, 2012 8:58 AM

9 replies

Aug 2, 2012 9:48 AM in response to TinkerG

I was surprised to read this -- so surprised, that I checked my phone to make sure there really was no way to select multiple emails. You're right, there is no way.

The fact that I've been using an iPhone (or iPod Touch) for so many years and never noticed it? Well, that suggests I never needed it.

You have a few options. First, use a different email client on your iPhone. I would have unreservedly recommended Sparrow until recently; Google just bought them and further development is dead. Sorry, I don't have other suggestions, but there are other clients.

Second, change the way you work with email. I'm a heavy email user, but I've set up server-side filtering to handle the heavy lifting. That is, only the most important stuff gets sent to my inbox. The rest is stuffed into folders where I can deal with it on a more powerful (and more time-efficient) platform in my office. This takes effort to set up, but it saves a lot of work.

Third, use a different phone. iPhones are not the only mobile computer, and perhaps a more-customizable (Android) phone will give you what you want.

Aug 2, 2012 9:51 AM in response to preludio

preludio wrote:

I was surprised to read this -- so surprised, that I checked my phone to make sure there really was no way to select multiple emails. You're right, there is no way.

You can select multiple emails by tapping the Edit button in the upper right corner and then selecting the emails you want by tapping in the circles at the left. What you can't do is select all emails.

Aug 2, 2012 2:51 PM in response to TinkerG

Thanks to preludio and Meg St._Clair for your input.

1. I realize that there may be thrid party apps that will get my mail for me. I suspect that using such, I may loose some of the advertised functionality of my iPhone.
  2. My domain host server does not offer any spam filter for POP mail, and IMAP is not an option for my company mail. As a result, I get about 50 to 100 spam emails each day. On my Mac, it's no problem. The Mail program filters send it all to assigned folders as needed. But the iPhone does not offer such filters. I'm not demanding a filter, but a Select-All feature would make life a lot easier.

I realize that the spam is my problem, and not anyone else's fault.

What I don't understand is why Apple iPhone Technicians haven't corrected this obvious problem. Is no one else having to select screen after sceen of mails, one by one, for moving or deletion? I can't believe that I am the only one frustrated by this on a daily basis.

Please understand that I like my iPhone and the Mail program, but I just wish they'd address what seems like a simple and obvious problem.

PS: Thanks for hearing my rant.

Aug 3, 2012 8:32 AM in response to TinkerG

Gotcha. I feel your pain. I changed email providers because of a similar problem. In my view, any company that doesn't provide aggressive spam filtering is a company that doesn't respect my time or my safety, and thus don't deserve my business. Of course, I'm in the nice position of being able to control this for both personal and professional email use.

As for Apple not addressing the "simple and obvious" problem, well, let me suggest that while it might be obvious, it isn't a serious problem for a lot of people. If it were, there would be lots of discussion about it. I've read a lot about Apple's design processes, and I doubt they overlooked this feature. They chose not to include it. Given the absurdly large amount of money they've made selling iPhones, it's pretty difficult to argue they've made the wrong decision.

None of that helps when your individual needs come against their decisions, of course! And with Apple, that edge can be brutally hard.

To address the "simple" part of your plea: yes, it is a simple request. But it may not be simple to execute. Coding-wise, I have no idea if this is simple, nor what compromises would have to be made in order to make this happen reliably.

I definitely second kb1951's suggestion to submit feedback.

Dec 24, 2012 6:36 AM in response to TinkerG

I can find people asking this same question all the way back to 2009. Obviously, Apple doesn't care what we need. I use my smartphone for business and I have a business need. I do not have the time to manually delete 300 emails a day one at a time, everyday of the year. I will be returning my brand new iPhone 5 and going with a Galaxy 3 because of this one non-function.

Dec 22, 2016 8:52 AM in response to TinkerG

It was possible on an older iPhone OS to select edit>select all. At that point all the radio buttons would be selected then you could click delete. But not nowadays. The fastest way to clear junk mail is scroll to the bottom, open the email and tap the trash can which will pull the message into the trash can and bring up the next message then simply repeat tapping the trash can. Deleting all the junk mail quickly depends on how fast you can click the trash can.

Why can't we select all email messages for "move" or "delete" on iPhone 4S?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.