Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to create a DVD that plays both on DVD player and on PC/Mac

Hi all,

If I'm posting in the wrong group, please forgive me.

This is the situation:

I recently scanned a lot (>1000 photos) of old family photos and I want to put these on a DVD.

My brothers and sisters would also like such a DVD, but they are not all that handy with computers. So I thought, well, I make a DVD that can be played on a DVD player showing a slideshow of all the pictures, and for those who are more familiair with their PC can access the same pictures but in a higher resolution for printing purposes.

I have all scanned photos in iPhoto, and I can create a slideshow to save as a movie.

But now I want to create a DVD that contains this slideshow movie (for standard DVD player playback), and some extra folders with all images in their original size and resolution.

Is this possible?

Or do I have to create a special folder with JPG images so the DVD player knows to treat these as slideshow images, and have other folders for the originals.

I use Toast Titanium for burning.

Desktop, Mac OS X (10.7.2), iMac 24" (2009 model) 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB Memory

Posted on Aug 2, 2012 9:58 AM

2 replies

Aug 2, 2012 10:39 AM in response to Toon61

There is not really an answer as different people and different hardware and different software have different capabilities

Your best bet is two DVDs. One with the slide show yhat you made with iDVD or other software that burns DVDs in the standard DVD format and a second DVD with the JPEGs on it for printing and other photo uses.

LN

Aug 2, 2012 12:27 PM in response to Toon61

You can use iDVD and create multiple slideshows of 99 photos or less and burn it to disk. This will produce a video DVD that can be played on any computer that can play a commercial video DVD or on a set top DVD player to a TV set.

Create albums in iPhoto with 99 slides or less. Select the album and use the Share ➙ iDVD menu to create a slideshow in iDVD. You can add multiple slideshows to the same iDVD project that way.

Follow this workflow to help ensure the best quality final product:

Once you have the iDVD project as you want it save it as a disk image via the File ➙ Save as Disk Image menu option. This will separate the encoding process from the burn process.

To check the encoding mount the disk image and launch DVD Player and play it. If it plays OK with DVD Player the encoding was good.

Then burn to disk with Disk Utility or Toast at the slowest speed available (2x-4x) to assure the best burn quality. Always use top quality media: Verbatim, Maxell or Taiyo Yuden DVD-R are the most recommended in these forums.

OT

How to create a DVD that plays both on DVD player and on PC/Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.