Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help with making a program recursive

I was trying to add file extensions to some files on my old mac and the only solution I found was this applescript on this website:

http://techierambles.blogspot.com/2009/03/applescript-to-automatically-add-file. html

here's the code formatted correctly:

(* EPSF (eps), AI (ai), PDF (pdf), ART5 is Illustrator indd = Creator: InDn, Type: IDd5 indd = Creator: InDn, Type: IDd4 ai = Creator: ART5, Type: PDF eps = Creator: ART5, Type: EPSF psd = Creator: 8BIM, Type: 8BPS pdf = Creator: CARO, Type: PDF jpg = Creator: 8BIM, Type: JPEG eps = Creator: 8BIM, Type: EPSF qxd = Creator: XPR3, Type: XPRJ tif = Creator: 8BIM, Type: TIFF *) -- THESE PROPERTIES ARE FOR THE NOTIFICATION ROUTINE -- if true, the script will speak the alert. If false, the script will --display an alert property speak_alert : false -- set the amount of time before dialogs auto-answer.dialog property dialog_timeout : 30 -- THIS PROPERTY IS USED TO INDICATE WHETHER THE SCRIPT --CHECKS THE INCOMING FILES FOR COMPLETED TRANSFER -- SET THIS PROPERTY TO TRUE FOR FOLDERS SHARED VIA --FILE SHARING -- NOTE THAT ITEMS DROPPED IN SHARED FOLDERS WILL --HAVE THEIR LABEL SET TO 7 property copy_checks_indicator : false -- THESE PROPERTIES ARE FOR THE STATUS CHECKING --ROUTINES property item_check_delay_time : 2 property folder_check_delay_time : 3 property special_label_index : 7 on adding folder items to this_folder after receiving added_items try if copy_checks_indicator is true then -- CHECK THE FILES TO MAKE SURE THEY'RE --COMPLETELY AVAILABLE set the added_items to my check_added_items(the added_items) if the added_items is {} then return "no valid items" end if tell application "Finder" --get the name of the folder set this_folder_name to the name of this_folder end tell -- find out how many new items have been placed in the folder set new_item_count to the number of items in the added_items tell application "Finder" repeat with x in added_items copy name of x as string to FileName copy file type of x as string to FileType copy creator type of x as string to FileCreator -- check for Quark if FileType is "XPRJ" and FileCreator is "XPR3" then if FileName does not end with ".qxd" then set Suffix to ".qxd" set the name of x to FileName & Suffix end if else if FileType is "XDOC" and FileCreator is "XPR3" then if FileName does not end with ".qxd" then set Suffix to ".qxd" set the name of x to FileName & Suffix end if -- check for Illustrator ai else if FileType is "PDF" and FileCreator is "ART5" then if FileName does not end with ".ai" then set Suffix to ".ai" set the name of x to FileName & Suffix end if -- check for InDesign else if FileType is "InDn" and FileCreator is "IDd5" then if FileName does not end with ".indd" then set Suffix to ".indd" set the name of x to FileName & Suffix end if --check for InDesign CS2 else if FileType is "InDn" and FileCreator is "IDd4" then if FileName does not end with ".indd" then set Suffix to ".indd" set the name of x to FileName & Suffix end if -- check for Illustrator eps else if FileType is "EPSF" and FileCreator is "ART5" then if FileName does not end with ".eps" then set Suffix to ".eps" set the name of x to FileName & Suffix end if -- check for Photoshop psd else if FileType is "8BPS" and FileCreator is "8BIM" then if FileName does not end with ".psd" then set Suffix to ".psd" set the name of x to FileName & Suffix end if -- check for Photoshop tif else if FileType is "TIFF" and FileCreator is "8BIM" then if FileName does not end with ".tif" then set Suffix to ".tif" set the name of x to FileName & Suffix end if -- check for Photoshop jpg else if FileType is "JPEG" and FileCreator is "8BIM" then if FileName does not end with ".jpg" then set Suffix to ".jpg" set the name of x to FileName & Suffix end if -- check for pdf else if FileType is "PDF" and FileCreator is "CARO" then if FileName does not end with ".pdf" then set Suffix to ".pdf" set the name of x to FileName & Suffix end if end if end repeat end tell end try end adding folder items to on remove_labels(the added_items) tell application "Finder" repeat with this_item in the added_items set the label index of this_item to 0 end repeat end tell end remove_labels on check_added_items(the added_items) -- check the transfer status of every added file to determine -- if each file has completed being moved into the --attached folder set the notbusy_items to {} repeat with i from 1 to the number of items in the added_items set this_item to (item i of the added_items) if my check_busy_status(this_item) is false then set the end of the notbusy_items to this_item end if end repeat return the notbusy_items end check_added_items on check_busy_status(this_item) -- a folder can contain items partially transfered -- this routine will wait for all the folder contents to transfer if the last character of (this_item as text) is ":" then set the check_flag to false repeat -- look for any files within the folder that are still transferring tell application "Finder" try set the busy_items to the name of every file of the entire contents of this_item whose file type begins with "bzy" on error set the busy_items to {} end try end tell if the check_flag is true and the busy_items is {} then return false -- pause for the indicated time delay the folder_check_delay_time -- set the flag and check again set the check_flag to true end repeat else -- the passed item is a single file, suitcase, clipping, etc. -- check the label of the item. If it is the marked label --then it's already been processed so ignore. tell application "Finder" if (the label index of this_item) as integer is the special_label_index then return "ignore" end if end tell set the check_flag to false repeat tell application "Finder" set the item_file_type to the file type of this_item end tell if the check_flag is true and the item_file_type does not start with "bzy" then tell application "Finder" set the label index of this_item to the special_label_index end tell -- allow the Finder time to change the label delay the item_check_delay_time return false else if the item_file_type does not start with "bzy" then -- set the flag and check again set the check_flag to true end if -- pause for the indicated time delay the item_check_delay_time end repeat end if end check_busy_status --HANDLER FOR KEEPING THIS FOLDER OPEN --To activate the handler, remove the comment --markers (the parens and asterisks) --at the beginning and end of the following handler --and save this script. (* on closing folder window for this_folder beep tell application "Finder" open this_folder end tell end closing folder window for *)

It works well and does exactly what I want when I make it a folder action to a folder and then put files into it. The only problem is that if I put a folder into the folder it doesn't work. The files inside the folder aren't affected and don't have a file extension added to them. I have hundreds and hundreds of files all within subfolders. Does anyone know how to make this program recursive so that files within folders will be affected too. I know nothing about applescript and am really up the creek if I can't get this working. Any help is appreciated.

Posted on Aug 2, 2012 10:40 AM

8 replies

Aug 2, 2012 12:25 PM in response to OutWeRoll

It's not quite clear what direction you're trying to take here.

Are you trying to apply this script to all the files already on disk? or are you trying to get the folder action to apply to all subfolders, too? Because the solution is radically different.

Folder Actions only ever apply to the folder they are attached to. Never to sub-folders.

To get the Folder Action to apply to subfolders you have to attach it to those subfolders. Only then will files dropped in the subfolders get the script applied.

So, if you want your script to run across all the existing files, that's pretty easy.

If you want the Folder Action to be applied to subfolders you need to amend the rule so that it identifies new folders added to this folder (so that it can attach the folder action to the new folder) and then apply the Folder Action to script to every folder so that it runs when a file is dropped in any of those folders.

So... which is it? or it is both?

Aug 2, 2012 2:00 PM in response to OutWeRoll

One last question, for now...

If I read your original post correctly, you current drop files into this folder and they're processed, correct?

And that you want to drop a folder into this folder and have the files within that folder processed... is that correct?

If so, does the folder just contain files? or does it (can it?) contain other folders?

If it just contains files then it's simple. If it contains folders it gets a little more complex.

One twist on that is what the 'typical' number of files in a folder is? It is tens? hundreds? thousands?

The reason I ask is that it may be simpler to just have the Finder scan the folder for all files, rather than turn the script into a recursive script, but the Finder isn't efficient on large folders containing hundreds or thousands of files.

So, if a folder just contains a few files, it's easy.

If a folder contains sub-folders, but the total number of files isn't that great, it's pretty simple.

If a folder contains many many sub-folders, totalling thousands of files, its gets more complex, but still do-able.

Aug 2, 2012 3:56 PM in response to OutWeRoll

a basic template for recursive file system handlers is as follows:

on recursiveHandler(fRef)

-- assumes fRef is a posix path to a folder

tell application "System Events"

repeat with thisItem in files of folder fRef

-- process files here

end repeat

repeat with thisfolder in folders of folder fRef

-- loop through contents of sub folders

my recursiveHandler(POSIX path of thisfolder)

end repeat

end tell

end recursiveHandler

You'll have to adapt it to your needs, but it's pretty self-evident - feed it a posix path to a folder, and it runs through the contents processing files and recursing into folders.

Aug 6, 2012 1:10 PM in response to OutWeRoll

Well, getting rid of excess code and rewriting the routine more compactly, it looks like this:

property transforms : {{FileType:"XPRJ", creator:"XPR3", extension:".qxd"}, {FileType:"XDOC", creator:"XPR3", extension:".qxd"}, {FileType:"PDF", creator:"ART5", extension:".ai"}, {FileType:"InDn", creator:"IDd5", extension:".indd"}, {FileType:"InDn", creator:"IDd4", extension:".indd"}, {FileType:"EPSF", creator:"ART5", extension:".eps"}, {FileType:"8BPS", creator:"8BIM", extension:".psd"}, {FileType:"TIFF", creator:"8BIM", extension:".tif"}, {FileType:"JPEG", creator:"8BIM", extension:".jpg"}, {FileType:"PDF", creator:"CARO", extension:".pdf"}}

on adding folder items tothis_folderafter receivingadded_items

repeat with this_item in added_items

recursiveHandler(POSIX path of this_item)

end repeat

end adding folder items to

on recursiveHandler(anItem)

-- assumes fRef is a posix path to a folder

if class of disk itemanItem is folder then

set theItems to (disk items of folder anItem whose visible is true)

repeat with thisItem in theItems

my recursiveHandler(POSIX path of thisItem)

end repeat

else

my changeExtensionFromFileType(aliasanItem)

end if

end tell

end recursiveHandler

on changeExtensionFromFileType(x)

copy name of x as string to FileName

copy file type of x as string to FileType

copy creator type of x as string to FileCreator

repeat with transformRecord in my transforms

if FileType is FileType of transformRecord and FileCreator is creator of transformRecord and FileName does not end with extension of transformRecord then

set the name of x to (FileName & extension of transformRecord)

exit repeat

end if

end repeat

end tell

end changeExtensionFromFileType

(note that I wrote the recursive handler in a somewhat different form, but the principle is the same)

Keep in mind that file type and creator are holdovers from os 9, so they may not be included in more modern files.

Help with making a program recursive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.