Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipod 2nd gen from MAC to Windows7 reformating possible?

Does anyone know how to connect my old iPod to Windows7?

I have no Mac and I don't care if the music on the iPod is deleted.

I used to have an iMac (in '02) but now I have iTunes (latest version) on Windows.

I have connected the iPod using a 4-pin to 6-pin FireWire from my HP laptop.

iPod 2nd Generation 20GB A1019

Posted on Aug 2, 2012 12:49 PM

4 replies

Aug 2, 2012 4:07 PM in response to chrzzzl82

I have connected the iPod using a 4-pin to 6-pin FireWire from my HP laptop.

It won't work if your laptop has a 4-pin FireWire port. That is because the 4-pin FireWire port does not provide power (which is what the other two pins on a 6-pin FireWire port are for). Without power, the iPod cannot charge.

If you have the FireWire power adapter that came with those iPods, you might try charging the iPod fully using the power adapter, THEN connecting it to the laptop using the 4-to-6 pin cable. That might (?) work, since the iPod can draw power from its battery while connected.

Aug 3, 2012 1:35 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

I do have the original charger and it is fully charged.

I have connected the iPod to the latest version of iTunes.

When it recognized the iPod (after several attempts) I got the error message that the iPod was damaged.

Later, iTunes recognized the iPod correctly and said to update the iPod.

However, during this process the update failed and iTunes said the iPod was not updated (error 1415)

Does anyone have an solution for this problem, please?

Aug 3, 2012 1:49 PM in response to chrzzzl82

As I said, I think it needs to have a 6-pin FireWire port (that supplies power), when it is doing things like syncing and restoring. The battery is fine when it is operating the iPod as a music player, but not when it is connected to the computer like a hard drive.

If your laptop has a Cardbus (PCMCIA) slot, or other type of slot, for adding "cards," you could get one for FireWire. Just make sure it provides a connection that provides power to the FireWire port.

ipod 2nd gen from MAC to Windows7 reformating possible?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.