Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Notifications of e-mail different on iOS than on OS X ML with Exchange server

Notifications seem to behave differently on iOS and OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion.

I have a single user account on a pretty plain vanilla multi-user Microsoft Exchange server at work.

I use a mix of PCs, Macs, and iOS devices to access this Exchange e-mail account throughout the day, depending on where I am and what I am doing.

When I read some e-mail on a PC (using the standard Microsoft Outlook client under Windows 7), and then later go back to an Apple device, I notice that iOS deletes these e-mails from notifications. This is expected, and appreciated. I dealt with the e-mail. I read it. It's still on the iOS devices, but not as a notification. It is marked as read.

Things are different under OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion. Mail.app correctly unmarks the e-mail so it is no longer read (and files it if I have moved it into a folder). However, the OS X Mountain Lion notification center STILL shows the message. This is not expected, and not appreciated. I already dealt with the e-mail. I don't want it clogging up my notifications.

(This is with mail.app continually running under OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion. I realize mail.app has to be running in order to properly receive notifications. -- It's a whole other story that this has to be the case. I sincerely wish OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion would run a background process like iOS does that would keep notifications updated even when mail.app isn't running.)

In contrast, all of this works just fine when using my Gmail account. I have my Gmail account set to sync with IMAP on the Mac and with Microsoft ActiveSync on iOS. No matter where I read mail, all the other devices sync instantly and never leave notifications pending on other devices for mail I've read on another device. I'm told that Gmail uses Exchange-type syncing, but it must be different than the syncing that comes with a standard vanilla Exchange server, since it behaves differently.

All this tells me that we haven't quite fully brought iOS back to the Mac.

Do others notice this problem? Any workarounds?

Posted on Aug 2, 2012 2:46 PM

There are no replies.

Notifications of e-mail different on iOS than on OS X ML with Exchange server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.