Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari 6: WebKit Web Inspector Annihilated

Anyone have this problem and, hopefully, solved it?

When I use the WebKit Web Inspector, it doesn't show anything but what you see on the screenshot below. If you look closely, the top bar of the inspector that should show selections such as: ELEMENTS, RESOURCES, NETWORK, etc... doesn't show any of that, instead it clips part of the website and keeps that clip static. As you can see in the image, parts of the screen on the Macbook Pro graphic has been sliced and kept statically at the bottom, it never moves or disappears.

On top of that, nothing ever loads in the inspector except the options at the bottom which also does nothing. I can't even pop the inspector out of the window, clicking on that option does nothing.

I can't use the new inspector as that also has issues. On the old inspector, the NETWORK option was useful for troubleshooting AJAX web applications; on the new one, data returned from an XMLhttprequest no longer shows in it's own section, instead it's just bundled with other random bits of data that has loaded previously and it it doesn't seperate them out by the order in which requests came in, instead it tries to put them in alpha order which is a bad thing, because there is no way of telling what request came in and when.

I kept the old copy of Safari incase S6 would break something, and it did, but when I try to run Safari 5, it just crashes. I want to downgrade Safari back to the previous version, but I haven't a clue how.

I had to switch to Chrome to continue with web development, but I would like to work in Safari. Any ideas?

Reinstalling the entire OS for this one issue is not an option and never should be.

User uploaded file

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Aug 2, 2012 2:39 PM

4 replies

Safari 6: WebKit Web Inspector Annihilated

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.