Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't run both RAM sticks

So I have Three 2GB RAM sticks. Running the stock RAM only one stick appeared in the "system profiler" in "bank 0". Initially I thought one of the stock sticks was bad and bought a new one from OWC. My computer will run with the OWC stick by itself in both top and bottom RAM slots, and appears in the "system profiler" as being in either "bank 0" or "bank 1".

I left my new RAM untouched in the bottom slot, which appears to be "bank 1", and tried both of my stock RAM sticks in the top slot. I was super confused to then find that both stock RAM sticks were recognized by the computer, occupying "bank 0", but then my new ram, still in "bank 1", magically disappeared in the "system profiler" leaving my computer with only 2GB of RAM instead of 4GB....

I'm hoping that since both slots are working that my logic board isn't defective but maybe just something funky with either software or mixing brands of RAM...

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Macbook Pro 7,1 (Mid 2010)

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 2, 2012 6:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2012 6:25 PM

You may have modules with different specifications. And, one of your old modules has become marginal.

You should replace both old ones with two identical new ones.

7 replies

Can't run both RAM sticks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.