Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Network Shares in Finder Sidebar

I have several AFP network shares that are mounted at login.

In Lion, these persisted in the Sidebar after I dragged their aliases there.

However, in Mountain Lion they're gone, and while it looks like I can drag them there, they immediately disappear once dropped.

Has anyone else noticed this? Does anyone know of a work-around?

MacBook Pro 2.53 GHz (Late 2008), Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Aug 2, 2012 8:37 PM

12 replies

Aug 4, 2012 12:27 PM in response to techiejohn

I have exact the same problem here.

I have several afp shares that are mounted at login. Under 10.7 the shares were persistent in finders sidebar. After I draged them there once.

Now under 10.8 they are not there and I noticed some strange behavior:

After mounting the shares (via applescript at login) it is not possible to drag the shares to the finders sidebar. It seems that they are already there but - for some reason - can not be seen.

My workaround is:

I unmount the shares and start the mounting script again by hand. strangely the shares are in the sidebar now.

It looks like some kind of timing problem, when the user logs on and the script starts. I tried some delay at the beginng of the script, but that does not solved the issue.

Aug 7, 2012 10:21 PM in response to mcreim

It seems that I found a workaround for the problem (it is still a bug in my opinion):

here is my mounting-script that works well:

delay 2

tell application "Finder" to open home

tell application "Finder"

try

mount volume "afp://username:password@mynas/share1"

delay 1

mount volume "afp://username:password@mynas/share2"

end try

end tell

tell application "Finder" to close home

I have it in the login-items.

It basicly does the following: Open the finder with the home-view. Then mount the two shares. After that closes the finder window.

(Replace username:password with the credentials needed to mount the share, "mynas" with the name or adress of the server and "share1", "share2" with the acutal name of the share.)

The 2 seconds delay at the beginning is not really needed I suppose but since the script works I'll leave it there.

In order to see the shares in the favorites section of the finders sidebar you have to drag them there once by hand. Afterwards they will show up there everytime the particular share is mounted.

The trick is to open the finder window before the shares are mounted. When the script does this they will appear in the sidebar. I think there is the problem. When the script mounts the share without displaying the finder window, they will not show up in the sidebar. It is a bug introduced with ML.

Jan 3, 2013 8:19 AM in response to techiejohn

I have found a fix. If you eject the drive then go to Recent Items under the Apple icon on your menu bar and click on the Server you want to mount, it should appear on your sidebar again. Do this for all the drives you want to have in your Devices sidebar. I am unsure if this only works if you have previously had it on your sidebar, because I did and then it stoppped appearing after restarts.

Aug 20, 2013 1:05 PM in response to techiejohn

Still having this issue with 10.8.4 network shares disappearing from the Finder (under "Devices").

Edit for more details:

-shared folders are located on a machine running 10.6.8 Server, being accessed using workstations using 10.8.4

-share is via AFP

Disconnecting the share and then reconnecting it seems to make the share appear again, but this should not be a permanent fix. Has anyone made any progress on this bug?

Aug 22, 2013 9:43 AM in response to dnsh

No go. I filed a bug report as well. mcreim is right. Finder window must be open before the shares are mounted for them to appear in the Finder sidebar. Unfortunately, that means even if you use Applescript, you will need to open finder. Or open it and close it for drives to mount automatically.

tell application "Finder"

open ("/Applications" as POSIX file) -- replace /Applications with whichever folder you want finder to highlight

mount volume "smb://nameofyourserver/nameofyourshare"

end tell

------

add

<key>LSBackgroundOnly</key>

<string>1</string>

to your info.plist after you create the applescript app so that the app runs invisible

------

Network Shares in Finder Sidebar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.