Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fix for anyone unable to use screen sharing

Hi guys

Not so much a question as a fix for anyone who has been unable to use screen sharing since yesterday.

Apple have started to turn off parts of MobileMe however one of the issues is if you still have MobileMe signed in on your Snow Leopard install Screen Sharing will stop working to any computer.

To get things working again go into System Preferences -> MobileMe -> Sign Out.

It should now be fixed.

Hope this helps someone out.

Posted on Aug 2, 2012 8:42 PM

24 replies

Aug 2, 2012 9:33 PM in response to geocomNZ

OMG THIS WORKED!!!!!!! I can't thank you enough. This morning, out of the blue, screen sharing stopped working for me. I could still access hard drives on my other macs but screen sharing just got hung up & wouldn't do anything. I went to System Prefs, signed out of mobile me, and BOOM -- it works again. YOU. ARE. AWESOMESAUCE.

Thank you so much.

Aug 3, 2012 2:46 PM in response to geocomNZ

Hooray! I was in a panic because I use screen sharing almost every day and it suddenly stopped working last night.

I have a Lion target machine and a Snow Leopard client and a Leopard client. I tried reinstalling Lion on the target machine, and then, when that didn't work, I used Time Machine to reset to the previous day, but it STILL didn't work. I was getting really nervous. Then I thought that maybe something about MobileMe was happening, I just couldn't figure out what to do about it.

Found this article and BOOM, it's fixed. You're my hero!

Aug 6, 2012 7:34 PM in response to geocomNZ

@Jay Gamel specifically, but to anyone who is having problems with Screen Sharing and thinks that since they don't use MobileMe that it must be something else ..

I have never used MobileMe, not even the free trial.

When I saw this post, I looked at the Mobile Me pref pane and since I had never logged in, there was no way to sign out, so I kept looking elsewhere.

Hours later, I read this email again and saw how timely it was, so I went back and looked again.

Even though I had never signed in, my AppleID was pre-populated in the Member Name field.

As soon as I cleared out this field, Screen Sharing started working again.

So, not only should you make sure you are signed out, but you should wipe out any information in either the Member Name or Password field.

I also noticed that, even after I solved it, as I continued to look at the issue, at some point the Member Name re-populated and sharing stopped working until I cleared it out again.

Aug 6, 2012 10:40 PM in response to slvrstn

I have no Mobile Me preference pane at all. I'm runnin Mt. Lion 10.8 on both machines. I only have an iCloud pref pane and I need to be signed into it. Believe me, I've signed out and in a dozen times -- every time I change the configuration at either end.

The best solution so far: buy ShareTool 2 for $30 bucks. It's easy to set up, no fiddling with routers, and is very fast, allowing access to entire networks, something I could never get ARD or BTMM to do. Mac has a long way to go to get it's network tools working right. Kagi gets it right the first time, and cheap, too.

Aug 7, 2012 6:53 AM in response to geocomNZ

Many, many thanks for posting the tip. As others have noted, I wasn't signed in but my username was populated in MobileMe preferences (10.6.8).

I also used Keychain access to remove any references to .Mac, Mobile Me etc. in my login keychain (if you've upgraded a machine, these could be me.com, mac.com, etc.). My AFP and screen sharing connections are now restored.

Just FYI: previously, the connection would *eventually* work - after clicking Connect As... or Share Screen... in a Finder window, the Connecting to "servername". window would appear for around 2-3 minutes before eventually allowing a login.

Thanks again.

Fix for anyone unable to use screen sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.