Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Air or pro?

I'm thinking about buying a mac for school. I'm between 13-inch air with core i7 or 13-inch pro. For school I need to install windows to run circuit simulators and some similiar software since I'm studying engineering. I'm thinking the air because of portability but I don't know if the power will be enough. Wich computer would you people recommend? 13 inch air, 256 SSD, 8 RAM, 2.0 i7 or 13-inch pro 2.9 i7, standard HDD, 8 RAM.

Thanks for your time

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Aug 2, 2012 9:59 PM

4 replies

Aug 3, 2012 12:27 AM in response to Truba

I'd go the opposite way - for what you'll be using it for, I'd take the Macbook Pro 13 Inch.

The Air does have a better screen resolution than the 1280 X 800 on the Macbook Pro 13 Inch.

But because you'll be running Windows, Autocad and maybe Photoshop, I'd take the 13 Inch Macbook Pro and upgrade the RAM to 16GB. Autocad is more RAM dependent.....

Don't get me wrong, I do like the MB Air.......I do however, like the idea that I can upgrade my Macbook anytime I want so that I can keep it longer by adding more RAM or swapping the hard drive for a SSD....

In any event, i'm sure you'll be happy with whatever Macbook you decide to purchase.

And if you're not happy with your first purchase, you have a 14 day return/exchange policy so you can exchange it for the one you want.

good luck...

Aug 3, 2012 1:12 AM in response to Truba

There's no right or wrong choice here.

Both the MBA and MBP will be more than adequate for your specified use.

As stated, the MBP is upgradeable and will probably last you longer.

The compromise may be the 13" MBP with a SSD drive. I would switch the HDD for a third-party SSD drive. This will make the MBP the equal of the MBA in terms of performance.

Air or pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.