Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not installed software requires update through Mac App Store

Dear Experts

I have had Lion and later updated to Mountain Lion with no issues and happy about that. The below issue existed in Lion as well as in Mountain Lion.

Issue is that, I don't have the "Angry Birds" software installed in my machine any time (to what I remember!). But whenever I open my App store for update - I get to see that the machine wants to update the software "Angry bird" and looking to enter a password for an apple id which I never known anytime.

User uploaded file

When I click on update - system asks me to enter the password for a apple id which is not mine.

User uploaded file

The above apple id is not mine.

When I look for the installed softwares with the name "Angry Bird" it does not exist - as shown below

User uploaded file

The spot light search also does not show any software with the name "Angry Bird" installed.

Please advice on how to remove this item from the machine.

Thanks

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 3, 2012 1:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2012 2:19 AM

If you seeing someone elses information as in the Apple ID then you may want to report that to apple directly.

As for what to do you should try signing into the app store with your ID and Password and the problem should go away.

The bigger question is why are you seeing someone elses account info.

I would imagine that this would happen if you donwloaded a hacked version of angry birds.

But since it is not on your computer then I don''t know

Another possability would be someone logged into their App store account on your computer.

http://www.apple.com/support/mac/app-store/contact/

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 3, 2012 2:19 AM in response to Kasee

If you seeing someone elses information as in the Apple ID then you may want to report that to apple directly.

As for what to do you should try signing into the app store with your ID and Password and the problem should go away.

The bigger question is why are you seeing someone elses account info.

I would imagine that this would happen if you donwloaded a hacked version of angry birds.

But since it is not on your computer then I don''t know

Another possability would be someone logged into their App store account on your computer.

http://www.apple.com/support/mac/app-store/contact/

Aug 3, 2012 3:29 AM in response to Kasee

I believe that this means that you have downloaded pirated (ie, stolen) software illegally. The Apple ID you see is the ID of the person who made that software available to others illegally. Sad to say, I'm not at all surprised that the address ends in .ru (meaning it's located in Russia).

If you were not aware of having downloaded something illegally, you need to be more cautious about what and how you are downloading. Do not use torrents or "warez" sites, and if you find commercial software available for free, it's stolen. The people who steal software are extremely unsavory sorts, and such methods of distribution have also been responsible for a lot of Mac malware in the past.

Dec 17, 2012 4:23 AM in response to Kasee

I followed this thread with fascination, which led me to this torturous 9-minute video by a 9yr old who recommends you download a pirated copy of FCP in order to get rid of a pirated copy of Angry Birds... 😕

For most of us, it's really worth watching for comedy value (I'm actually not sure if it was a genuine send up or he really meant it) , for those of you needing to solve this problem it will actually give you the answer, and if you've also been deliberately pirating a $4.99 copy of Angry Birds, it's probably punishment enough that you sit through the whole 9 minutes... 😁

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=G28wROBen4s

Dec 17, 2012 7:12 AM in response to Mattiboi89

Removed those apps using app cleaner and the problem went away.

...because they had been stolen. There's no one specific app that will cause this to happen. Any app that has been pirated using the technique I described earlier will cause this problem. Removing the apps you recommend removing will do no good if those aren't the apps that have been downloaded illegally.

Dec 17, 2012 8:35 AM in response to Mattiboi89

I think what Thomas is trying to point out, for the benefit of others who come to this thread with the same issue, is that your solution worked for your friend simply because it happened to be those apps that contained the false MAS receipt in the pirated software.

Since the technique can be used on other App store programs, the solution in any given case is to identify which software the user has downloaded that was from an illegal source (rather than just blaming possibly legitimate installs of FCP etc).

Sorry if this is stating the obvious, but it seemed to my fretful mind that this thread was taking a veer off in the direction of unnecessarily crossed lines...

Not installed software requires update through Mac App Store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.