Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

controlling downloads from my site

I have no idea whether this is an iWeb question or a server configuration question (I suspect the latter), but here goes.

I am setting up a site with documents that users may download. However, these documents are copyright and I want users to click a popup box "I accept the conditions" before they can download the documents. If they don't click, they can't download. I also need the box to appear for ever document they try to download from the site, so each download, not each site visit.

Any suggestions at all would be very welcome.

Thanks!

iWeb '08, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Aug 3, 2012 2:07 AM

3 replies

Aug 3, 2012 2:23 AM in response to Leo Bloom

You're correct in assuming it has to be done at the server.

For starters, here's a page with instructions how to download a file after clicking a link :

http://wyodor.byethost8.com/Attachment.html

Before that happens you need a script to accept the conditions.

See if this gets you any further :

http://www.google.com/search?q=download+file+after+accept+script

BTW, a document is automatically copyrighted. With or without accepting.

Aug 3, 2012 2:41 AM in response to Wyodor

Thanks for that, although it's not the download itself that I need to set up, but the popup box that comes first - like the "I agree" box that you get when installing software. So, for example, if someone clicks on "photo of the queen", then they get a popup box that says "This is copyright, click here to acknowledge and your download will start," and if they click, then the link opens, if they don't, then it doesn't.

And yes, I know docs are copyright, but you'd be surprised (or perhaps not) how many don't. It's not going to make any real difference, but it might make people think twice before putting things they've downloaded from my site on their own sites.

It may be more trouble than it's worth...

controlling downloads from my site

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.