Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari 6 has jerky scrolling issues

After a week of dealing with some web pages that jump back and forth while scrolling, I think I have isolated it to the inclusion of the "recommend" prompts at the top of those pages. I don't know the name of the box with the prompts in it, but twitter, facebook, etc are in a box at the top of the page. As the page loads, this box scrolls to the right and then down the page which causes the bumping around of the browser window. It is very annoying when I am trying to read an article and the paragraphs bump up and down on the page. My question is, does anyone know of a way to disable this box so that it is not on the browser page? TIA

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 3, 2012 6:13 AM

5 replies

Aug 3, 2012 6:45 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

I've been having this problem with Safari 6 also, and it's making Safari basically unusable for many sites. As robinfromlexington noted, the problem seems to involve those little recommend prompts for Twitter, etc. Turning off extensions and restarting Safari did no good. This seems to be a "feature" of the latest Safari -- don't they even test these things before they release them? Loading the same pages in Firefox results in no jerky scrolling problems at all.

It would be Really Nice if Apple could fix this "feature" before many of us must simply give up on Safari. One simply cannot use it as it is.

Aug 5, 2012 6:58 AM in response to Gary Tucker

OK, I've found my problem -- and it was my fault, not Apple's (mea culpa). A few months ago, I had followed a hint from MacWorld and set up a CSS file to have Safari automatically zoom its display to 120% when I launched it. This was to help my bad eyesight. Here the hint address:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1166811/automatically_zoom_safari_pages_on_launc h.html

Wife Safari 6, however, this causes the bizarre behaviour of those little icons for Twitter, Facebook, etc. Getting rid of the CSS fixed the problem. Curiously when I manually zoom my Safari pages, the problem doesn't return.

Anyway, all is sweetness and light with my Safari. On to the general slugishness of Mountain Lion…

Aug 5, 2012 6:20 PM in response to Gary Tucker

Gary Tucker,

Your post was what I needed to find that the zoom was indeed the problem. Although, I went to the site and followed the instructions, it didn't help at first. What I did find was that if I zoomed out on an effected site, the problem was resolved. This tells me that the "zoomify" extension and the "recommend" toolbar do not play well together. Uninstalling zoomify has fixed my problem. Too bad.

Thank you for your help in getting to the bottom of this.

Safari 6 has jerky scrolling issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.