Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Loud tone from inside Mac Pro

I have a Mac Pro 2.8ghz Mid 2012 system running 20gb or RAM. I have a Phantom drive external eSata, Sans Digital external eSata RAID, a no-name 3 bay eSata RAID and three internal SATA drives in addition to the system drive. What is driving me crazy is a loud and annoying tone that only occurs when I try to unmount drives. I've narrowed the trigger of the tone down to one external SATA drive and one internal SATA drvie. When I try to unmount that triggers the tone. It is very loud and it is coming from the back of the Mac Pro tower. In addition, the one internal and one external drive can not be unmounted when this tone occurs. Even using disk utility gives an error message stating the drives can't be unmounted even when all programs have quit and none are accessing those drives. This problem only began after installing the new Mountain Lion. HELP!!!!! I don't like doing hard shut downs.

MacBookPro Dual Core 15", Mac OS X (10.6), MacPro 2.8 Nehalem

Posted on Aug 3, 2012 8:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2012 1:08 PM

I'm assuming you've installed some king of PCIe card to connect the external enclosures to your Mac Pro. Check the manual to see if the card includes an alarm function.

2 replies

Loud tone from inside Mac Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.