Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can i get a me.com email address?

My wife and I share our iTunes account and she has a me.com email address that annoyingly sits over the entire account; I'd like to add a me.com address for me that is the master iCloud email address. How can i do this or switch that master me.com email over to my own personal email address?

Posted on Aug 3, 2012 8:56 AM

3 replies

Aug 3, 2012 9:03 AM in response to schmitztoa

The iCloud login can be different from iTunes; you would use the iTunes one for iTunes, iTunes in the Cloud and iTunes Match, and the iCloud one for email, calendar and contacts syncing, PhotoStream and so on.

The best thing would be for you and her to have separate user accounts on your Mac, each with your own iCloud account - you could still share the iTunes account if that's what you want. However you could make a new account and have that as the primary iCloud account, then add hers back in in System Preferences>Mail, Contacts and Calendars to have both of them accessible on the same user account.

To open a new iCloud account, go to http://appleid.apple.com and create a new Apple ID - you will need a different email address from that used with the other account: you could get one of the free ones.

Then go to System Preferences>iCloud, sign out if another account is currently in there, then sign in with the new ID, enabling Mail and any other data types you want to sync. You will be asked to create a new @me.com address.

Aug 3, 2012 9:05 AM in response to schmitztoa

Welcome to the Apple Community.

To begin with, I would like to try to explain Apple's confusing nomenclature in regard to iCloud.

Apple have called the whole cloud thing iCloud, there are a number of features under the iCloud umbrella, some of which require their own login. iTunes is one of these, another is what Apple have unfortunately also called iCloud too.

You can use the same Apple ID (account) to login to both iCloud and iTunes, but you don't need to and often users will login to each service using a different ID.

The part that you need to remember is that the services available when you log into iCloud are completely different and unrelated to those when you log in to iTunes. Your iCloud login enables mail, contacts, calendars, find my phone, Back to My Mac, Documents & Data sharing and photostream, it does not affect any of your iTunes services.

To avoid confusion when discussing your problem, when I mention iCloud, I am referring to the services under the iCloud login, Whereas I will refer to the whole cloud thing as The Cloud.

From the information that you have given hereinbefore, my advice would be to continue to use your existing account for iTunes, but to create an entirely new account for you to use with iCloud. You can do this on your device by logging out of iCloud in the iCloud settings and using the "create Apple ID" button to create a new account.

how can i get a me.com email address?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.